Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a number of the posters on here really know their way around a computer keyboard so I have a question concerning getting Window 98 data CDs to run on my Win 7 Home edition 64-bit machine. Do I need to install Win 98 on my Win 7 unit to get them to run or is there another way? A lot of suggestions have been made concerning compatibility mode but so far I have not had any success with that path. If you could send me a PM with the correct procedure I would appreciate it. I am only having trouble with data discs, as they come up gibberish. CDs with pictures, etc. run with no problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
You say "Window 98 data CDs". Are these operating system installation discs, or a supplemental disc like maps, streets, Office, etc.?

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
If I understand the question... You are trying to open a data folder on a Windows 7 machine that was created on a machine running Windows 98.

Answer - It matters more which version of the actual program you are using (e.g., Word, Excel, etc.).

There are two solutions.

ONE - When you save the data on the Windows 98 machine there is an option as to which format you will save the data in - in that the Windows 98 machine is an older system this is more problematic - knowing which form to use for 7 isn't intuitive.

TWO - on the Windows 7 machine do this...

First, open the program you wish to use the data in. Next, insert the CD into the computer. Last, go to the 'File' tab, scroll down to the 'open file' tab and then direct it to the file on the CD. In most cases this will start the conversion of the data to a usable form.

If not, PM me and I can talk you through some other options.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you for responding.

Brian, this CD is a database in a program that pre-dates Excel by a number of years. It is a database that is included in Microsoft's Works Suite 99, specifically Microsoft Works 4.5.

HSLDS, I tried your suggestions and the file was displayed but it was all gibberish, lines of a Y-shaped symbol repeated endlessly. Will send a
PM.

Wahoo

·
Premium Member
12,295 Posts
OK,

Try this... Go back to Works Suite 99 - open the file.

Go to the file tab - You will see two options for 'save' - One is "SAVE" on is "SAVE AS"

use the SAVE AS tab - it will open a window that allows you the direct the where/what/how of saving the file. It SHOULD have the option of saving the file under several formats (it will be in a drop down menu near the bottom of the window).

I would try saving the file under ALL of the options available. There might be five or more. Be sure to note what each one is - give them unique names so you can tell them apart.

Now take those data files and go back to the Windows 7 machine.

Follow the Windows 7 path I gave before (First, open the program you wish to use the data in. Next, insert the CD into the computer. Last, go to the 'File' tab, scroll down to the 'open file' tab and then direct it to the file on the CD. In most cases this will start the conversion of the data to a usable form.)

Do this for each of the files to see if one will work.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Plus keep in mind that after saving the files will likely inherit a Read Only attribute because they were on the CD. You may have to change that after saving.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Wahoo, you may want to try opening the file(s) in Excel. There are several "Open" file extensions which will work in Excel.

Excel does operate with database-type files, and has some basic, but useful database functions.

Best, Dennis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts