Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie so excuse the potential dumb questions. At what point does it become too windy to practice and just not be able to learn much? At what point do you not shoot because of the wind?

·
Registered
21,606 Posts
Only if the wind starts to roll you around the parking lot. If you can stand on the pad you can practice. Get the experience you WILL need to win.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I live on the Prairie. I can hardly remember a Trap shoot without at least a light breeze.
I think it would be described as a howling wind, with dust in your eyes before we quit.
We do pack it in, and watch from the clubhouse, during a thunderstorm.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you’re a newbie and learning the sport I would say 15 mph maybe 20 max. This is if you are new and learning normal sight picture, trying to get consistent, and learn the game. Once you are getting better and trying to compete, wind is your friend because if you can shoot in it and your competition can’t... well that’s where you’ll stand out.

It’s like any sport though, if you are starting out, you want to get consistent and get the basics down well and that’s better with easier conditions. Once you can smash them pretty well on nice days, it’s time to head to the club on windy days and start increasing your skills. The fact is, you MUST be able to shoot in wind if you can’t you won’t be personally satisfied even if you only shoot for fun. Windy day shooting does really force you to watch the target and fine tune that ability.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You need to know how the wind effects the targets. Example; one year at the Grand there was a strong west wind. I knew before I walked to the line since the traps face north, that the left target would go high into the strong west wind.
Therefore, the right target would take a nose dive. Knowing this, I shot higher on the left target and lower on the right target.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Shooting in the wind should not end up being a big deal or a oh no I'm going to shoot a bad score moment. Practice in windy conditions as let's say you have to go out and shoot a league score and all you are thinking about is the wind rather than focusing on the basics and the targets. Wind at your back...targets getting pushed down.... wind in your face.....targets are getting pushed up. Those 2 basics are a good place to start.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shooting in wind is just part of the game. It will do you good to shoot in every condition you can. I’ve shot in wind so bad that it literally pushes you around and you have to widen your stance to stay on the post. El Reno OK and Las Vegas NV just time name a couple places. There’s always someone that will still post an unbelievable score in the wind. It might as well be you. So practice away and good luck!

·
Registered
8,387 Posts
If the targets are being set properly, a tail wind (wind from your back) is the easiest. That leaves the other 359 degrees to worry about. If it's a steady wind you can try adjusting your hold point. If it's gusting you'll need to go into your "instinct shooting mode", or head for the clubhouse. :1augen68:

I just remembered, I shot at Amarillo at the state shoot once and that day it was a steady 55 mph tailwind. I don't remember it being easy, but I sure was glad it wasn't a headwind. Use the "Weather Underground" site for your shooting location and you will be able to get a leg up on your strategy for the day.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Wind forces you to get fast or accept missing all the time. Practice in all wind conditions and learn how to shoot fast with both eyes open.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,208 Posts
Wind forces you to get fast or accept missing all the time. Practice in all wind conditions and learn how to shoot fast with both eyes open.
You really shouldn’t be changing your speed or timing unless you have incredibly bad conditions (40-50+). Even then, you should try not to change your timing unless you absolutely have to. Change your holds a bit (lower usually), but you shouldn’t be shooting any slower or faster based on wind. Point the target.

I do agree you should practice in the wind. It will teach you a lot and prepare you for those windy days when you have to shoot.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
If your going to shoot ATA targets your going to have to shoot in the wind. So you mite as well practice in the wind it will only make you better in the long run.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you are worried about shooting competition in adverse conditions, you have already lost. Shoot in the wind exactly the same way you would in any competition, with total focus on the target and nothing but the target. The wind will be the same for everyone so scores may adjust accordingly. I recall one of the best old time All American say he won more money in windy conditions than on blue bird days. Focus hard on the target, nothing else, and shoot. The best shooter will still win.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I always tell my youth shooters that anyone can shoot under ideal conditions. What separates the champions from the rest is the ability to perform under less than ideal conditions. Be the shooter that loves adversity and you have won the battle of the mind.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
The wind is your friend. If you won’t shoot in the wind, you won’t shoot very often in many areas of the US. Learn to shoot in all conditions.
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

I've known shooters who would withdraw from competition if they thought it was too windy. What pansy-asses.

As I've said before on this site, I absolutely LOVED it when the wind was blowing hard. So many guys were already losers because they couldn't mentally deal with it.

If you EVER want to be a championship caliber shooter and a "tough as nails" competitor, you need to adopt the mindset that you are willing to shoot anywhere, anytime, under any and all conditions, against ANYBODY!!!!

If not, be prepared get your ass kicked!!!!!!

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Some will say not to shoot faster but depending in some conditions it is just necessary. I try not to do anything different. I keep my shell speed the same. I don't mess with chokes. I generally shoot on the quick side anyway, I don't really ride targets. I try not to. I guess it all has to do with how quickly you can acquire targets. Don't over think it. good shooting.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Many stories of Leo Harrison III shooting in cold rain in his short sleeve T-shirt.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Shot in the high winds today. I had a 21 and a 20 the second round. As long as you know what your doing wrong when you miss. It's when you stand there thinking why didn't that break is the problem. I was shooting behind birds today, I was shooting over birds today.
I need practice.

Jason in PA

1 - 20 of 45 Posts