Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt this has been covered many times, but I'm technically challenged and don't know how to find it......

I have just found a can of Winchester WSL Super-Lite powder and would like to load it in Gun Club and other one-piece Remington hulls. I'm looking for a load that would go about 1150 fps with Remington 209 primers and either TGT12 or Figure 8 wads. Either 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of shot is fine.

Does anyone have such a load for the old WSL powder?

Thanks for your help.

Neal

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I loaded a lot of WSL. It's a dense powder. As a result you need to use a 1 oz. wad, with 1 1/8 oz of shot to get a good crimp. I used Claybuster 1 oz wads(CB-1) with 17.2 for 16's, and 19.5-19.8 for long-yd H-caps.
It's also an EXCELLENT powder choice for several handgun cartridges.!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bulge -- I certainly would rather shoot 700X, but I found this 3 pounds of WSL hidden away in a cabinet, soooo.........

Don -- Thanks!! I have lots of 1 oz wads........

·
Premium Member
11,824 Posts
Isn't that the truth. I've got about three pounds of the stuff and I'm torn between loading it in .45 ACP or keeping it as a reserve for when I run out of WST.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I loaded a lot of WSL. It's a dense powder. As a result you need to use a 1 oz. wad, with 1 1/8 oz of shot to get a good crimp. I used Claybuster 1 oz wads(CB-1) with 17.2 for 16's, and 19.5-19.8 for long-yd H-caps.
Don -- Knowing you do LOTS with various loads, might you have recorded chamber pressures for the loads you have suggested here? Thanks. Neal

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I'm traveling at the moment. When I get home, I will check the records I have to see what additional information I can orovide

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Well, I THOUGHT I had sent it to you in a Private Message.
Since that didn't work, here ya go:
This information is from the Winchester Reloading Components Catalog 13th edition, 1993. All I load are Winchester AA hulls and the load information I'm showing here is for those. For: 1 1/8 oz. shot, Win 209 primers, 1 oz. Winchester wad...(I use the Claybuster equivalent) 18.5 gns. WSL is shown producing 1145 fps at a pressure of 8,000 psi.
For a little faster load...1200 fps., they show 20.0 gns WSL producing a pressure of 9,000 psi.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's absolutely perfect!! Thanks heaps for your information. I genuinely appreciate it as I somehow have done in my Winchester 13th edition!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts