Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
I use the claybusters and like them....I use them in top gun hulls...gun club hulls ....AAHS Hulls and AA CF hulls.... So far no problems.

Reap

·
Registered
531 Posts
Some complain the CB wads produce plastic buildup in barrels.
Not that I have noticed.....I run a bore snake thru the barrel at the end of day shooting while barrel is still warm and have no problems what so ever. Not saying it doesn't just stating my results. I have shot up to 6 round of trap in a visit all with claybuster and I don't clean my barrel after every visit... Just the bore snake and then a "chemical" cleaning once every couple of weeks. I shoot 2-3 times a week....YMMV

REAP

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Not that I have noticed.....I run a bore snake thru the barrel at the end of day shooting while barrel is still warm and have no problems what so ever. Not saying it doesn't just stating my results. I have shot up to 6 round of trap in a visit all with claybuster and I don't clean my barrel after every visit... Just the bore snake and then a "chemical" cleaning once every couple of weeks. I shoot 2-3 times a week....YMMV

REAP
When I said "some" I excluded "all."

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Is there a difference in quality between Winchester and Claybuster's equivalent wads?
CB's use to come with a lot of bent petals, and they were a pain in the butt to straighten out. But, they (CB) must have gone to better plastic because that problem has gone away. Now CB's are all I use with no issues at all. Now Winchester has the bent petal problem since they quit using boxes and went to plastic bags.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I get a residue on the inside of my Muller chokes that's hard to remove. Is that from the plastics described above? I've been using Claybuster wads, some new and some older from a previous owner. I have to run a brush through the choke several times to remove the residue. After doing a little more research it seems Downrange has some good wads with better plastics but they don't have an equivalent WAA12L wad.

·
Premium Member
5,897 Posts
Yes, the Downrange wads do not have the reputation Claybuster wads have for leaving plastic residue. I'm a fan of the Downrange Duster wads. The "clear" Duster is a 7/8 oz. AA12L clone wad.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have found that shells reloaded with the Claybusters tend to chronograph slower than shells reloaded with factory Winchester or factory Remington wads while using the same hulls, powder, and primers. The diameter of the wads at the gas seal is different.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I tried the Claybuster wads and had no buildup problems in guns with fixed chokes, but my guns that have choke tubes there is a buildup that I do not get with oem wads. I went to Downrange wads and have no buildup problems in my guns that have choke tubes. Bill

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've shot a lot of Claybuster wads and I have had zero problems with them. When I pull the trigger and hear the word "Lost" it's a me problem not wad issue.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
A few years ago Claybuster changed to a different plastic formula. They are slicker than they used to be. Downrange was always made of a slicker plastic.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,827 Posts
I agree that Claybuster has changed the plastic they use. I always avoided CB wads because of the plastic build up. I think their 20, 28 and .410 wads are worth using now.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I prefer the Downrange wads if the prices are very close but most of the time I just use CB Win clones and they've never given me any real issues. The plastic is a little flimsy so make sure the wad is going straight in and you aren't snagging any petals with the shot tube.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I weighed a CB1118-12 & WAA12 and they were both the same weight if it wsn't for the numbers molded into the bottom of the shotcup of the CB there would be no real diffrence (to me)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts