Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new XSP trap gun I have bought the gun seems to shot all over the sky nothing consistent. I am a 47/50 shooter not a newbee. This is not the youth model its the full size gun. I purchased this as a spare but I am not impressed with it at all. Anyone else have any input or own one?

Thanks everyone

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
I bought one for my wife. She didn't do real well with it but I have seen a couple of things I didn't like. First the trigger was rough. Did some work on the trigger which helped. The gun seemed to shoot low. I think the comb was not high enough to match the higher rib. Had Keith Heig put a 4-way adjustable on it and it seemed to cure that. The length of pull seemed a tad short also. Haven't lengthened it yet but, the daughter may find it about right for her when her arm heals from surgery. Other than those few things it seems to be a good gun for the money. My suggestion is to have someone fit it for you and try some pattern work.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
My friend has one and likes it.His shoots almost a full pattern high,we shot it from a rest.
He shoots it well, it seems to fit him well.He only has 5000 shells through it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to agree it does shoot real high. The length of pull is short it needs at least a 1 inch spacer in it for me. I'm still working out this gun.
I bought one for my wife. She didn't do real well with it but I have seen a couple of things I didn't like. First the trigger was rough. Did some work on the trigger which helped. The gun seemed to shoot low. I think the comb was not high enough to match the higher rib. Had Keith Heig put a 4-way adjustable on it and it seemed to cure that. The length of pull seemed a tad short also. Haven't lengthened it yet but, the daughter may find it about right for her when her arm heals from surgery. Other than those few things it seems to be a good gun for the money. My suggestion is to have someone fit it for you and try some pattern work.
Check your hammer I have a black shadow also and the hammers on both are starting to mush over. Winchester said if it starts to miss fire or mushes real bad send it back in. The tech said it will only go so far and take a set

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend has one and likes it.His shoots almost a full pattern high,we shot it from a rest.
He shoots it well, it seems to fit him well.He only has 5000 shells through it.
Check our hammer for distorting and mushing over. Give Winchester a call if it starts to miss fire or gets severe

·
Registered
334 Posts
I bought one couldn't shoot it to save my life. Sold it to a friend of myn he shoots it really well. It did have a 9lb trigger pull out of the box but alittle work I got it to 4lbs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a new XSP trap gun I have bought the gun seems to shot all over the sky nothing consistent. I am a 47/50 shooter not a newbee. This is not the youth model its the full size gun. I purchased this as a spare but I am not impressed with it at all. Anyone else have any input or own one?
Thanks everyone
Just had it out for a night of shooting to get it figured out. Found the gun actually hits low for a trap gun more like a hunting gun. The Monte Carlo stock could be about a 1/2 inch higher to match the rib. The length of pull is all wrong, it should be about an inch longer for a good 6 foot person. Everyone that handled it said the stock was all wrong. I got to the point where I could shoot it well but not excellent. I think it is a good pheasant hunter but not a good trap gun. This gun has a lot of good features but needs to be better accommodating to the average shooter. I think it is more of a beginner early teen youth gun. I'm probably going to get a BPS Trap for a spare.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Just had it out for a night of shooting to get it figured out. Found the gun actually hits low for a trap gun more like a hunting gun. The Monte Carlo stock could be about a 1/2 inch higher to match the rib. The length of pull is all wrong, it should be about an inch longer for a good 6 foot person. Everyone that handled it said the stock was all wrong. I got to the point where I could shoot it well but not excellent. I think it is a good pheasant hunter but not a good trap gun. This gun has a lot of good features but needs to be better accommodating to the average shooter. I think it is more of a beginner early teen youth gun. I'm probably going to get a BPS Trap for a spare.
Looks like you discovered what I did and related in my earlier Post. The comb is too low for the rib. It needs to be built up of have an adjustable comb added.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just got one. I agree with what others have said here. It shoots all over the place. Sometimes I felt like it was shooting flat, but at other times it seemed to shoot high. I had to place the butt on my sternum to get it to hit anything--mounting it in the "pocket" on my right shoulder where it supposed to go it wouldn't hit anything hardly. I just thought I'd try it for the price and features, but Turkish made is still Turkish made. I'll probably mess with it for a while and then sell for something else made in America or Italy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked one up for $230 from Cabela's and shooting it very well for a beginner. Only shot it in six squads and shot four 22s and two 20s which is great for me ( shot my first trap just a few months ago)

To new of a shooter to really know what to look for but so far I'm very happy.....certainly for the price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
why do you think it shoots all over the place, do you mean because of the way you shoot it, or off of a rest when you patterned it .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts