Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First post, I am looking to get into trap shooting and looking to get a beg gun that is fairly affordable as I know once I get going I will want something different. I found a Winchester sx1 field version with a 28" barrel, full choke. What do you guys think about this to get going. I was concerned that it was only a 28" barrel. I am confusing myself as I try to sift through all the threads. I have attached pictures.
image.jpg

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
If the field stock is a little low at the comb, just put on one of the pads that are available from a number of sources. For example Beretta makes a stick on pat beginning at 1/4" thick. Personally, I'd begin shooting it like it is. I have three SX-1's with field stocks and shoot them very well. I also have one in trap grade. Frankly, I shoot it a little better than the others, but it's almost like picking nits.

Johnpe

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I have a SX 1 Trap with a 30 inch barrel and beautiful monte carlo stock set for sale. PM me if you are interested. JM

·
Registered
197 Posts
A fine choice and even though the barrel is only 28", don't forget you also have about four inches of receiver giving you about 32" of sight plane. As a beginner you may not need a higher shooting gun as a lot of beginners don't take their target as quickly. If you do buy a Meadow's Industry Converta pad and that will allow you to add as much as you will need to get the proper poi. Hope you enjoy yourself and welcome to this very addictive sport.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
It could be a good choice, depending the the price and condition. If you do get it, replace the bolt buffer. Remington 1100s have also broken a ton of trap targets.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
ask claybird2 what he thinks of 28" full bbls on a trap range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bobski.... I am guessing he likes the 28" full?

DGH.... Yes at a pawn shop but my options are limited where I live and it is a place where I can go and hold some different guns.

Thanks for the responses,

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
No wasn't knocking the pawn shop, Just be cautious what you buying.

And Welcome to the Forum.

DGH

·
Sky Buster
4,167 Posts
No wasn't knocking the pawn shop, Just be cautious what you buying.

And Welcome to the Forum.

DGH
Don't waste your time with a field gun. Buy a trap version from the
get-go. A used 1100 is reasonable in price. Lot's of good scores
have been broken with the 1100. A Beretta 390 or 391 is also
a good choice.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Gun will work fine for trap. An auto with a 28 in barrel is longer than a single barrel with a shorter barrel. If you are going to shoot it though, I would look for a trap stock for the gun. You might try New Line or Wright's to see if they have one. Also google it on line. Nothing wrong with a Super x-1 They are great guns!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I am going to purchase the gun, going to head to the shop today. We agreed on $375 so that is hard to pass up. Never bought a shotgun before what things should I look at for the final inspection?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ask them to disassemble the barrel from the magazine tube. A lot of the time owner would not clean field guns! If it is difficult to remove the barrel. There might be a lot corrosion and pitting on the magazine tube! This is not ideal. But fixable. New stainless mag tubes are available from Simmons.

It was the best semi auto built - until recently!

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
My K-80 has been lonely for over a month since I started shooting my SX-1 again. I shot 'em good back in the 80's and didn't forget how to shoot 'em today. Those gas guns really tame the recoil from handicap loads!!

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
no, i shoot a 28" trap full m12 myself and he commented on how targets were poofing when i shot at his club. he was impressed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts