Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a Winchester Super X1 and I am going to go look at it soon. It is a trap grade with a serial number in the very low M20000 range. Everyone talks about custom updates that are highly recommended to these guns. I was wondering what and how should I look for these updates, if it has them?

·
Registered
537 Posts
The bolt buffer may need to be replaced but that is easy

One of the most important or popular updates was a stainless steel magazine tube and that is easy to check by pulling the forearm.

The stainless tube is easier to clean, less fouling over time, etc.

Nuline still has them

The above is an update.

Other items that the super x "experts" can weigh in on are the screw on the front of the rib (not a deal breaker) IMO.. the various types of triggers.. i.e see following link

·
Registered
651 Posts
F3,

That is an early gun and will have the rib held on with a button head screw at the muzzle. You should remove the screw and clean the screw and the barrel threads with a strong solvent and then reinstall with red Locktite. If the threads in the barrel are worn then the rib should be pinned.
It will also have a stage I trigger. It can be identified as having serrations on the front of the blade. Inside it will have a double hammer spring which should be replaced with the newer single spring. Also it has and allen adjusting screw for take up. If you move that at all be sure to reseal it with blue Locktite.
There are no Stage II triggers. Stage III have a smooth front surface on the trigger blade, no adjusting screw, and a single hammer spring.
When replacing the bolt buffer check the condition of the action spring follower. If worn replace it. the steel followers are best if you can find one.
Set up correctly these SX-1's are the finest SA ever produced. They have all their parts, save 1, made from chrome molly steel and no plastic or cast parts and they balance in the middle of the gun and have little recoil.
If it is a true factory trap gun it will have engraving on the sides of the receiver and the barrel will be stamped "Full Trap or Improved Modified Trap ". The trap barrels have a higher POI than the field barrels.

CT

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just to add what Searun posted, both sides of the receiver are scroll engraved and top of receiver should be parkerized too. If their is no jeweling on the bolt and shell lifter get back to us. The Super X Model 1 "Trap" chokes really throw a pattern and smoke targets handled my 7/8's target loads with ease.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou guys so much! Its very impressive the amount of knowledge forum members know and share.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I will have to add that when Winchester was closing these guns out if I remember correctly the XTR,s did not have the engraved receivers. However they had gold type 3 grade triggers as well as beautiful wood.
In the early 80,s there was a company in Little Rock, Arkansas that was selling them for $300. This I do know as a fact. Also if I might add that the close out guns that you ordered might or might not have the Trap Full barrel markings or it could have just Full Choke.
Now for the facts IMHO!
They were the very best auto ever made. The only other auto that come close to the SX1 was the Beretta 303.
I have never seen a SX1 wore out. As everyone has already stated just check the recoil buffer as well as the recoil spring. As far as the screw in the end of the rib is not important. Put a bit of lock title on it and keep shooting. The stainless magazine tube is a good upgrade, by the way the XTR,s had the SS magazine tube.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Super X1's are a joy to shoot. An all steel receiver has no clanging, tinny sound when closing or after discharge with the moving bolt. That's one thing I like a lot. There has been good advice/comments previously posted. I have been shooting one, for over 40 years, both hunting and trap. Having seven, in various configurations, I prefer my Super X1 over my Fabarm XLR5 Velocity AR for trap. I have experienced a broken rib, a horizontal break just behind the screw on an earlier version. Pat Laib fixed it years ago and no problems since. That's the only problem. My wife uses one for hunting and does well with the Super X1.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am interested in a Winchester Super X1 and I am going to go look at it soon. It is a trap grade with a serial number in the very low M20000 range. Everyone talks about custom updates that are highly recommended to these guns. I was wondering what and how should I look for these updates, if it has them?
Another modification is to either replace the spring for the firing pin with a softer one or just cut about 1/4 inch off it. The spring is super strong otherwise and can leed to misfires.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
The sx-1 never had a factory stainless magazine tube. It was Chrome plated and often the chrome would let go and start to peel. Nu-Line guns offered the stainless steel magazine tube as an aftermarket add on.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
The magazine tube can be reversed easily with a little heat on the end threaded into the receiver. Presto, a brand new mag tube w/o the needless expense of a stainless one.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Some additional thoughts,

Slickhead mentions the last guns not being the same as previous trap grades.
When Winchester stopped production they decided they would make as many guns as possible from the parts department inventory.
Since they had mostly trap wood and trap & field full choke barrels they made trap guns. They used field receivers, with no engraving, and gold triggers from the DU & Mississippi guns. These guns were in the very late 88,000 & 89,000 range. The wood on all was very nice.

chugiakshooter mentions the firing pin spring. Yes it is strong and sometimes leads to a misfire especially with hard European primers. I cut 3 coils off and that corrects that issue.

superxjeff mentions the magazines. Yes, the SX-1 never came with a stainless magazine. The trap and skeet guns did come with chrome plated tubes except for the very, very early guns.
The magazine spring retainer is a loose fit in the stainless magazines because of a thinner wall. I use a Rem 1100
retainer as it is a bit bigger in OD.

Action springs, Forgot to mention them. When new, a standard spring is 30" long and after extended use they sack and it is best to replace them when they get to be less than 24". Also store the gun with the action closed.
It is critical to never use after market, action springs that are not reproductions of the OEM spring. They cause malfunctions and most important is the HD ones cause malfunctions and major failures. I have repaired guns that had these springs and had broken the bolt links and even sheared the gas shroud off of the barrel. They slam the bolt into battery with way too much kinetic energy.

CT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts