Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded for an 8# jug. Never loaded any. I have all the data and know it should be a very good powder.
BUT people who have actually used it have an opinion.....That's what I'm looking for.
What is your experience??

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
It's the OEM powder Win uses in the factory AA Super Handicap load. I use it and because it is so dense, it works well in the AAHS hull with standard wads with excellent stack height. Pulverizes the targets.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
That is my only powder for my Handi loads. That is my go to powder/load from 24yds back. A bit dirty, but l love it. 2 fresh jugs on shelf as we speak for back up when l empty the one l am on. All same batch.

Reactions: perchbone

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Try 19 grains to start with 1oz loads or 20grains for 1 1/8 loads.You will have to use a smaller bushing.#13 or 14 is close .use your scale. It is a very dense powder.You will have to experiment with different wads for the stack height.Clean burning.
There is not a lot of recipies for this powder.The pressure is low so you have a little leeway with your reloads.
It also meters very well from shell to shell.
Most powders I used took a 30 or so bushing.I am using the bushing from a small gauge loader that I load skeet
shells on. I am sure you will like this powder

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Hey Jim, good to see you are getting around to loading a little of the WSH. Good stuff in my opinion! I have loaded it for 3 or 4 years and like it enough not to change.
AA hull
WW 209 primer
20.5 WSH powder
Spolar Gold Wad
11/8 Remington 71/2 shot
This load is just a little short of a Winchester factory Handi-cap load. Mushes em' up pretty good if you somewhere close to the birdy!!!
See you at the Louisiana State Shoot..............

·
Premium Member
8,947 Posts
EXACTLY what I was asking for. Many Thanks to All who offered info.
Now, off to the reloading room!
My Best
Jim
Hi Jim,
The factory duplication of the 1 1/8th oz,
Winchester Super Handicap Shell is as follows.
AA - HULL
1 1/8th oz - Hard Shot
WAA12 - Wad
Win.209 - Primer
20.9 gr WHS - Powder
MG

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I would mention this powder is designed for high speed loads with 1 1/8 oz. Downloading velocity or shot load may well give less than stellar results in cold weather. Remember, winter is upon us.

I would look long and hard at MG 1 Polo's load suggestion, and duplicate it for Caps.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
Hi Jim,
The factory duplication of the 1 1/8th oz,
Winchester Super Handicap Shell is as follows.
AA - HULL
1 1/8th oz - Hard Shot
WAA12 - Wad
Win.209 - Primer
20.9 gr WHS - Powder
MG
I tried loading this late last summer. Really happy with it. Great crimps. I'm bettin' you'll like it Jim. I also backed the powder of to 20.0 gr and it still did real well IMHO.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At the bench this morning: 1 1/8oz 7.5, DRXL 1 1/8, WW209 primer and 20.0 gr Super H Cap
9/16" from top of shot to edge of hull. Looks great. And For what it's worth, the P.W. bushing listed is to meter 20.0 gr--It does exactly.
This SHOULD give about 1225fps or so and that will do me just fine.
Again: Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
One small addition - not necessarily directed at OP Jim...

The burn rate for WSH is similar to Green Dot and Hodgdon's International. That's why it's such a good option for 1 1/8 oz handicap loads. OTOH it is less than ideal for one ouncers where powders with a faster burn rate shine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts