Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I've been loading some Sporting Clay loads with Clay's powder. It now appears to me that my pressures may be to high as some who have paid to test some of there loads with this powder. Have had some much higher pressures than in there reloading data book show's!!!

So I'm thinking about changing powders to Win. Super Handicap. Who has tried this powder? How does it fit into the new HS hulls well? It looks like it should be much better fitting than Clay's. Does this powder drop as evenly as Clay's powder does? I also do not like the hang ups with my charge bar & Mec Reloaders with the Clay's powder. Any negative's you would like to share about the Super Handicap with us here at TS.com. would be appreciated!!! I would have to assume it should burn as clean as a new Win. AA hull, but what have you found out. My load would be just below 9000 psi in Hodgdon's data book for my load. I"m looking to load some one oz. shells at approx. 1,250 fps with Win. hulls & primers with CB-1100 wads & 20 grs. of powder. What are your thoughts? Has anyone tried this load? Thanks in advance. break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,722 Posts
I use WSH powder. I use it in HS hulls with 1 1/8 of shot with the Blue Duster wad. It stacks up nicely in the HS with that wad. My thought is that it would be better with 1 1/8 oz of shot as opposed to 1 oz. as that is what Win uses it for in its WSH OEM load. 9000 psi is less pressure than I like and could lead to "dirt." My suggestion is to look at the Nitro 100 data. It is as dense a powder as is WSH but faster so you an use a lighter charge but it will give you higher pressure in a 1 oz. load.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Who has tried this powder?
I load Super Handicap in 3/4 oz 20 Ga. AAHS hulls, Claybuster CB1075-20 wads.
How does it fit into the new HS hulls well?
Super Handicap is moderately dense powder. VMD=0.0859 Similar to Blue dot in density. Duplicates the AA Super-Handicap Target ammo in AAHS hulls. Clays VMD = 0.1462 (larger is fluffier) so just more than half the volume of Clays.
Does this powder drop as evenly as Clay's powder does?
Flows like water through the charge bushings. Very consistent -- like all Ball powders.
Any negative's you would like to share about the Super Handicap with us here at TS.com. would be appreciated!!!
Niche powder. It's good for Handicap 12 Ga 9/8 oz, 3/4 oz 20 Ga, there are more versatile powders available. But if you are focused on a specific load, it can be the one for you.

·
Registered
14,803 Posts
Be prepared to buy some small powder bushings and definitely weigh your powder drops when starting. 20 grains of WSH required a #21 bushing on my MEC. In comparison, it takes a #34 for 20 grains of Green Dot.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
I have loaded WSH for the last 5 years or so and it would be obvious that I'm satisfied with it. I load 20.5 grains in the HS hulls, Win. Primer, and a Spolar Gold 11/8 Wad. It is my Handicap load and works well from the 26. A little dab will do ya!!! YMMV.............

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Great post. I just purchased a pound to experiment with. Also only using it for some sporting and dove loads. I’ll be using it with Winchester Compression Formed Hulls.
I rarely try a different powder. Pretty much a Red Dot and a Green Dot user for my 12 ga. loads.
Hope it works out for you. Just go by the data sheets.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I use it for all my Handi loads and love it. I just feel, from what others have told me, that it is louder than normal Handi loads. May be due to the porting on my XT that I shoot Handi with, may not. I flip back and forth from WSH and 700X and hve a hard time telling the difference. I just have came to load WSH for my Handi loads and leave it. K.I.S.S. for me!!!

Reactions: Pull & Mark

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I flip back and forth from WSH and 700X and hve a hard time telling the difference.
I can tell you with certainty that all your 700X loads will have a "Loud" Report"!!! I know this to be true. 700x drops very nicely though, and is priced well. Its still a good powder, but its know for a loud report, but just not what I need for some quicker Sporting Clay loads.

I'm happy to hear that Win. Super Handicap meters well too. Seems like its closer to a ball powder than a large flake powder. Large Flake powders tend to have wide high to low differences in powder drops. Red Dot powder, IMO has a very wide drop range.

I also expected to hear that the smaller bushings needed to drop this powder would help keep the holes out of the center of the newer AA hulls as well. As there should be less volume to deal with over the Clay's powder I was using. I am having issues with small holes in my AA hulls using this powder. No problems however, when I use a STS hull.

As I mentioned above, the biggest reason I want to switch powders is because of the higher pressures some of the forum members here have gotten with there proof tested loads using Clay's powder. I like to keep my pressures at or below 9000 psi. All info is appreciated so keep it coming.

PS I'd ask about trying Green Dot. but it seems the 21 grs. needed for my load, would require a 35 bushing. This, I'm sure would require way to much space in the HS AA hull to get good crimps. Is anyone reloading this much Green Dot in a HS Hull? How are your crimps? break em all Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts