Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We shoot some heavy magnum loads for extreme yardage games shoot offs. Some applications call for the short red wad in order to have room for all of the shot. This leaves much of the shot with no plastic protection around it to protect it from direct contact to the barrel. Will this application hurt your overall patterns due to shot deforming contact to the barrel ?

Clyde

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey old timer, They have always worked good for me, Now since Winchester stopped making the waa12r wad I have gone the claybuster clone of it. It is CB1138-12, and they work fine.

Trap-4

·
Registered
923 Posts
FWIW: If you look at a used wad, you will notice that the top quarter inch or so does not show any deformation of the plastic. I think the top shot rubbing against the barrel is probably not deformed either. I have seen factory loads that had shot above the shot collar. Back in the day I used the red wad with 1 3/8 ounce of lead #6 shot and 27 gr. of Unique with great results on ducks, etc. Ron

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The barrel of your gun is way bigger than the inside of the shotgun shell. You may be getting more shot protection than you think. I still have red wads and will use them for pigeon loads.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Seems like I used to load AA hulls with the red AA wad and Blue Dot powder for magnum loads for geese. Copper plated #2's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.