Trapshooters Forum banner

Winchester model 70 Pre-64 300 H&H values??

9310 Views 26 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  DumpTruckDan
I have a chance to buy a 300 H&H pre 64 model 70. The gun has been reblued and the stock refinished. That being said the gun is in really nice shape. re-done or not it is a pre-64 model 70 and the 300 H&H well not rare is certainly not common. I can but it for 1300.00 dollars what do you guys think? I certanily do not need it so its just a want but is that too much for a non original gun? The buttplate has been replaced as well. Ideas and opinions and please do not hold back.
Reactions: acorange
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
10,450 Posts
A&M Firearms has one in a .270 right now for $2395 but is all original and great shape.
A few years back, 8 or 9 probably, I bought one in .243 Featherweight from them that they advertised as possibly unfired, that one was $1300.
It really is up to you, your money, you earned it, you spend it how you want to, matters not what the rest of the world thinks.
Good luck.

· Registered
4,113 Posts
A&M Firearms has one in a .270 right now for $2395 but is all original and great shape.
A few years back, 8 or 9 probably, I bought one in .243 Featherweight from them that they advertised as possibly unfired, that one was $1300.
It really is up to you, your money, you earned it, you spend it how you want to, matters not what the rest of the world thinks.
Good luck.
Being that the 2 most made and commonly found are the .270 and 30:06 I would think $2400 is a bit high. There would have to be something spetacular for that to pull that money.

· Registered
10,450 Posts
Bet it sales for that or really close to it, they don’t come down much at all after they price their guns.
They have been around for 40+ years and know their customers and what the market will bear.
Most sale within a week after posting, I tried to buy a Colt .22 conversion kit the other day and it had sold within a couple hours of the post.

· Registered
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on the finish job and if you really want a 300 H&H. Collector value isn't there, but not a bad price. If you want one that will make you wallet cringe I have an unfired 300 H&H in the box. And a second one that puts any 180gr bullet in the same hole at 100 yds.
That has got too be expensive!

· Registered
46 Posts
Funny thing happened, my dad sold the farm 30 years ago to my cousin. The other day he (my cousin) pulled into my driveway and said he had something for me. Turns out he was in the attic of the old farmhouse and found a pee 64 model 70 264 win may, my father's favorite rifle, what a treasure!
Anyway he did have a 300 H&H at onetime and it was an amazing gun also.

· Registered
4,113 Posts
Good luck.
I went to their web site. They certainly have an impressive listing of guns. Both for sale and sold. They must have a very good following. I saw the Mod. 70 .270. It is a Pre War model which definitely adds to the value.

· Premium Member
6,304 Posts
I have a chance to buy a 300 H&H pre 64 model 70. The gun has been reblued and the stock refinished. That being said the gun is in really nice shape. re-done or not it is a pre-64 model 70 and the 300 H&H well not rare is certainly not common. I can but it for 1300.00 dollars what do you guys think? I certanily do not need it so its just a want but is that too much for a non original gun? The buttplate has been replaced as well. Ideas and opinions and please do not hold back.
Do you want gun as a shooter? Or as a base to build somethin else?
Check the gun to be sure it is not a parts gun. Make sure the action is the pre-64 long action. The pre-64 actions for the 300 H&H and 375 H&H has shorter bolt stops and shorter ejectors to accommodate the longer cases. The rear bridge of the receiver will be cut back and the holes for scope mounts on top of the rear bridge will be closer together than a standard action. Some of them actually left the factory with only 1 hole on the rear bridge. The 300 Win Mag, 338 Win Mag, 458 Win Mag and 264 Win Mag were build on basically standard length action - same as the 30-06. The 300 H&H and 375 H&H were the only ones built using the "longer" action modifications and are desirable for building for modern rounds like the Rem Ultra Mags or wild cats like the 338 Jarrett etc. Check the serial number on the bolt to be sure it matches the action --- pull the gun from the stock and see what is stamped on the barrel in front of the recoil lug. Check the bore - a 300 H&H is probably not hurt from shooting but could be damaged due to abuse.
It being refinished would make we wonder why?
If it is a true pre-64 long action and the numbers match -- the action is worth from 800- 900 if you find the right person looing for a complete action. If you want a pre 64 300 H&H, and you are OK with it, make the folks an offer ---- other wise keep looking for a 100% unaltered one.

· Registered
3,972 Posts
$800 to $900

believe this probably nicer and more original..

· Vendor
1,508 Posts
$800 to $900

believe this probably nicer and more original..

+1

· Registered
715 Posts
$1300 seems a bit high for a standard model pre64 that had been redone. If it were an upper grade, say with a Maple stock...that probably would be a good price.

I have an 06 and a 270. As noted, the most common. I hold them in no more esteem and any of my other rifles.

Office supplies Automotive exterior Writing implement Fashion accessory Font
Musical instrument Wood Folk instrument String instrument Hardwood

· Registered
4,113 Posts
Check the bore - a 300 H&H is probably not hurt from shooting .
Many years ago I bought one in 300 Winchester Magnum. The guy gave me a box of ammo with 19 rounds in it. I took it to the range to plink off the 19 rounds with a good friend of mine. I shot 3 rnds and gave it to him. He shot 3 and gave it back . Needless to say we didn't finish the box.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.