Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the changes taking place at Remington, I've lost track of Winchester and their labor problems in the past. Are they still manufacturing ammo, specifically shotgun ammo, at East Alton or did all of that get moved to Mississippi? I know the hunting/shooting area at NILO Farm is still on the internet and I assume still operational, but can't find much about any plant activity.

TIA
Tim

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
They are still producing ammo at their E. Alton facility. Still have their trap/skeet range in operation also.
Facility is very much alive and well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
With all the changes taking place at Remington, I've lost track of Winchester and their labor problems in the past. Are they still manufacturing ammo, specifically shotgun ammo, at East Alton or did all of that get moved to Mississippi? I know the hunting/shooting area at NILO Farm is still on the internet and I assume still operational, but can't find much about any plant activity.

TIA
Tim
Nilo is Olin spelled backwards. Olin still owns the ammunition side of Winchester.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve shot enough Win ammo in my life that I thought it might be interesting to take a tour of the manufacturing plant. Anybody know if that’s possible if not part of a group?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I’ve shot enough Win ammo in my life that I thought it might be interesting to take a tour of the manufacturing plant. Anybody know if that’s possible if not part of a group?
Years ago I took a tour. They used to have a kind of open house day and a neighbor next door took me. It was well worth the visit. I live about 5 miles from the plant and as far as I know the only thing they moved ammo wise was rimfire and I heard they were having problems at first. I know their t22 wasn't all that hot to begin with group wise bur the last I shot of it it shot patters more than groups and about 5 or 6 wouldn't go off. Its a shame, at one time they made excellent rimfire ammo. They still have a skeet and trap range and a pistol range. They used to have a open house at nilo once a year and watching them work the dogs was really neat. Don't know for sure if any of the tours are still available.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Years ago I took a tour. They used to have a kind of open house day and a neighbor next door took me. It was well worth the visit. I live about 5 miles from the plant and as far as I know the only thing they moved ammo wise was rimfire and I heard they were having problems at first. I know their t22 wasn't all that hot to begin with group wise bur the last I shot of it it shot patters more than groups and about 5 or 6 wouldn't go off. Its a shame, at one time they made excellent rimfire ammo. They still have a skeet and trap range and a pistol range. They used to have a open house at nilo once a year and watching them work the dogs was really neat. Don't know for sure if any of the tours are still available.
Thanks, unless someone else comes in with info, I’ll try to call the plant next week. Looks like the target range/hunting area is open Wednesday’s and Saturdays. The would probably know too. Might be a good day for me and my two grown sons next spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts