Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Winchester Diamond Grade that my father has passed down to me back in 2015. It has a little discoloration on the trigger guard that I would like to remove. Any suggestions on what I could use? Thanks,

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Model and finish. Winchester has used the term Diamond grade from the Model 1897 forward. A photo would be a big help and a better descripition of what you mean by discolored. Rust, worn spots, etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Model and finish. Winchester has used the term Diamond grade from the Model 1897 forward. A photo would be a big help and a better descripition of what you mean by discolored. Rust, worn spots, etc.
Winchester Diamond Grade Unsingle. Basically a 101 receiver. Purchased new 1985. Discoloration meaning tarnished. It’s not worn through. I remember him touching it up from time to time but I really don’t remember what he used. Maybe I’ll check with Brownells, they should have something. Thanks,

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
101 diamond grade receivers & forend iron are polished after nitriding, sometimes it’s called silver nitrided by Co’s like browning but there is no silver involved. The nitrided hardness is very shallow and then polished after the process. Try cleaning up the blemish with never dull that’s sold in hardware stores. If that doesn’t clean it up then the surface hardness has worn into the soft steel. They are not nickel plated.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your suggestions. I’ll look for both Flitz and Never Dull.

Toolmaker is correct. I’ve heard it call silver nitride before.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wayne, sometimes it’s referred to as coin finish and it’s the same process.
Thanks Toolmaker you’ve been very helpful and informative. One other thing I wanted to mention was I noticed you and I joined Trapshooters.com the same date and year. Just a coincidence I guess. Have a good day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts