Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 5 flats of AA's 1 oz of 81/2's @ 1180--honestly they pound the piss out of me compared to STS'S same speed--I honestly my 1 oz Nitro's @ 1290 feel softer

Is this real or is it a delusion

Phil Berkowitz

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
I was surprised the other day shooting 100 red 3 dram loads for the first time in a long time how they pack a nitro style recoil easily

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I shoot the 1oz 1290 load for handicap and always thought they were pretty soft especially compared to those Walmart 4 pack specials...but I haven't shot any STS's for a long time so maybe I'm just used to them, the 1oz 1180 Gold medals are my favorite singles load they are soft as they come .Jerry

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Do the math: you are pushing a 1 oz load to a muzzle velocity of 1180 fps (presumably) ...same mass, same velocity=same recoil energy

Ignore any junior Mr Wizard who tells you that it's the difference between a fast powder and a slow one. There isn't a human alive who can tell the difference between the rates in milliseconds that it takes each to reach peak pressure...which has nothing to do with felt recoil anyway.

I vote for illusion!
I say, it could be because they're a different color....if you think it matters, it matters.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Phil,
No objection to AA 1 1/8 oz @ 1145 in my Ljutic. Also like Win Super HC. The combination of gun, ammo, and fit makes a lot of difference. Might be time to trade for a good gun (LOL).

Somehow the logic of going to less shot (1 oz) and increasing speed (1180) escapes me, especially if reduced recoil is the objective. Try 1oz @ 1135-1150 and you may be surprised. By going to #8 1/2 shot, as you have already done, your pellet count is greater than shooting 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 or 8's. Years ago I shot 8 1/2 exclusively for singles and averaged 98.6 on 2600 targets.

Marc

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Phil, Your thinking to much. Have someone you love, paint them all green. break em all. Jeff

Marc, Phil does not reload!!! He is shooting a 2 3/4 dram powder drop and one oz of shot. This will give less recoil than your 2 3/4 dram powder and 1 1/8 of shot @ 1145 fps. The 8 1/2 shot will give the same or more pellet count than #8 shot will @ 1 1/8 oz. So you give up recoil, but no pellet count loss. You yourself said you believe that 8 1/2 is fine at 16 yards by stating your ave. using this shot size.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have always thought that AA's kick a bit more than STS's at the same weight and speed, however at 110 fps more I think you may have your mind set that any AA will kick more than any Remington.

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
I think AA's kick more than STS or Fed Gold Medal. I still shoot them once in a while, but prefer the Rems or Fed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
AA's usually have the advertised weight of shot in them. I have yet to open any Remington and find the advertised weight. This would account for less felt recoil with Remingtons. A active imagination also helps.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
what gun are they being shot out of?

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what gun are they being shot out of?
Went to the range today-shot 3 boxes Nitro's 1 oz @ 1290-then shot a box of AA 1 oz @ 1180--the Nitro's really felt softer--I shoot an Infinity & it was made for me

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Pull&Mark,
My intention, perhaps poorly stated, was why decrease recoil with less shot but add part of that reduced recoil back into the equation by increasing velocity above 1150 fps. I highly recommend 8 1/2 shot for singles, no problem there. Some of the hardest hit (smoked) birds I ever saw were broke by my Son with #9 shot thru a TM-1 with full choke. AWESOME SMOKE. Marc

·
Banned
818 Posts
I used to shoot WW's and or Remington Nitro's for the games and registered shooting .. I know it does not make sense but if I shot the WW's shells I would get a pounding head ache that I would not get shooting the Nitro's ... If its all in my mind, thats all that matters, I quit shooting the Winchesters ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Load for load AA's have always produced more felt recoil. Chamber pressure and MV can be just like any other but the pressure spike that produces the recoil impulse by setting the rate of acceleration of the payload must be way greater in the AA's. I have a couple cases of Silver Bullets that I won 15+ years ago and have never pulled a trigger on a single one of 'em. Federal GM Pigeon loads hit softer than AA's.

and not JMO either

·
Registered
647 Posts
Factory loads can vary quite a bit from nominal velocities. If your Remington's were actually 1150fps and the Winchester's at say 1250fps that would be a sizable difference in recoil. Don't know that is the issue, but could be.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts