Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some hulls (both AA and Remington) at an auction and wonder what I have acquired.

After some internet research I believe that the Winchester AA hulls are all the "old" variety that were compression formed. I cut one apart and it seemed to be made in one piece. I ran a scribe down into a dozen or so hulls and found no "bump" at the bottom of the shell, leading me to believe that they are not made of several parts of which the newer AA hulls are made. Inspection with a bright flash light revealed what looked like a smooth transition from the wall of the hull to the primer pocket.

I also scored a large box of Remington hulls. These are not the higher end STS hulls (I load STS exclusively), nor are they Gun Club hulls. They are all have low brass bases (not steel as on Gun Clubs) and a green color lighter than the STS hulls, but slightly darker than Gun Clubs. Those I have inspected closely are marked "Remington 7 1/2 light" and so on.

Does anyone have any idea what I have bought?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some photos I should have uploaded initially. One of the Remingtons is marked "Remington Rem Lite 8" and the other is "Remington Heavy 7 1/2". I also included a shot of the AA cut off to show the bottom inside of the hull.

20200512_080137_resized.jpg
20200512_081432.jpg
20200512_080152_resized.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Win AA CF and Rem Premier. Both excellent for reloading. Both worth about a nickel apiece to a willing buyer.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
The bad thing about reloading 12's and 20's is that low quality promotional loads are available for nearly the same price as reloading them. The good thing is that you can load to near the quality of AA or STS factory loads for about $3 a box less.

Many folks use the cheap promo stuff with good results. I have loaded shotshells since 1958 and will continue to do so until I can no longer remember how to operate the press. LOL

You have some of the best hulls ever made for reloading. However, they are long in the tooth, so inspect for splitting case bodies and case heads.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for your replies. At least I now know what I have. I already have several thousand once fired Remington STS on hand so I'll have to decide whether to reload these or dispose of them in some fashion. Base on the looks of them I'd guess they probably have been fired more than once, but still have a lot of life in them. Thanks again for your help.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The bad thing about reloading 12's and 20's is that low quality promotional loads are available for nearly the same price as reloading them. The good thing is that you can load to near the quality of AA or STS factory loads for about $3 a box less.

Many folks use the cheap promo stuff with good results. I have loaded shotshells since 1958 and will continue to do so until I can no longer remember how to operate the press. LOL

You have some of the best hulls ever made for reloading. However, they are long in the tooth, so inspect for splitting case bodies and case heads.
And Coach, as long as you have your "Supervisor" in your avatar looking over your shoulder while you are loading, you will be good to go for quite some time!!!!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The Remington Premiers were made at the same time Peters made the Blue Magics (late 80's or 90's). The easy way to tell the red Winchester compression formed cases from the new style cases is the CF cases have a dull (satin) finish versus the new HS 2 piece cases have a slick shiny finish.

The Premiers will load quite a few times. What normally happens on mine is they will start to get a burn hole in the side of the hull about half way up.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The easy way to tell the red Winchester compression formed cases from the new style cases is the CF cases have a dull (satin) finish versus the new HS 2 piece cases have a slick shiny finish.
Actually, the easiest way to tell AA CF's from AA HS hulls, from the outside, is the CF's "AA" is enclosed in a box, while the HS's "AA" simply has a line under it.

Don

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Actually, the easiest way to tell AA CF's from AA HS hulls, from the outside, is the CF's "AA" is enclosed in a box, while the HS's "AA" simply has a line under it.

Don
^^^ That isn't always right. I'll post a quick picture of two AAHSs close to me without digging for lots of other ways to show that doesn't always work.
1612016575054830382900342387947.jpg 16120166953114166305825923411296.jpg My phones light is clearly showing the basewad in the HS on the right.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

Don
They didn't start the "AA" without the box until a few years after they were already making CF cases. The first several were still AA in a box. Same goes with them stamping HS on the brass, that only happened later. But yes if it is just AA it is definitely a HS shell.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
All ya gotta’ do is look down in the hull with a flashlight. The base wad, if any, is clearly visible. The early ones were red, later changed to white. There are some HS hills with the WIN 12 GA head stamp. It was changed to AA HS sometime after introduction.

·
Premium Member
5,850 Posts
Does anybody know how rare the black AA handicap shells from the 70's are???
By now fairly rare I'd say.

I have a few in a target box I've saved through the decade's for why I don't know and I'm sure there are others like me that have done the same.

But the reason for not many was these hulls were prone to splitting down the side, alot of times on initial firing as a factory load. It was discovered by Winchester because of complaints from hand loaders that it was the dye used. For a brief time the HANDICAP contents were placed in an Orange case with I believe yellow lettering (could have been silver though). If you had some of these I would think they would be extremely rare as the load concept was about finished for the time.

The load concept fell out of favor possibly because they were somewhat brutal to shoot a hundred of.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts