Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble with a hole in the middle of their crimp and shot falling out using the new Winchester AA Hulls. I tried adjusting the pre-crimp and final crimp depths with no success. Finally, I read on a different thread that a wad pressure of at least 40 is required to properly seat the wad. After I did that I had a much smaller hole. I still had a hole, but it wasn't big enough to let shot fall out which was my concern.

I'm posting this for two reasons, 1. - I want to know if anyone else has had this problem and, if so, what they did to fix it. 2. - I hope that if someone else experiences this that they might see this post and it might be helpful.

I was loading a 7/8 oz load with Clays Powder and the Claybuster pink CB-1100 (WAA12SL Replacement) Wad.

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
Can you post a pic of what your crimps look like? And if you can, also post pix of the shell right after the shot drop so we can see how high the shot is in the hull and also of what the pre-crimp looks like.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had this problem for a long time. I was adjusting the crimp and taper dies with no success. My girlfriend took Chris Vendel"s clinic and he instructed her to drop the pre-crimp. That worked for me. New AA's don't close completely on my 366 but this adjustment worked for me. PS, I don't load with any wad pressure.

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
The OP is following standard operating procedure when using a bulky powder like Clays in a AAHS hull. He is using a wad designed to hold 1/8 oz. more shot than he is dropping. Using the 1 oz. wad with 7/8 oz of shot results in a slightly shorter stack height, which should counteract the effects of the constrained internal dimensions of the AAHS. The reason I waned to see some pix is I thought the 40 lbs of wad pressure might be collapsing the crush section of the wad and perhaps lowering the stack height to such a degree he was getting dished crimps. I agree the accepted practice of closing the hole is to lower the pre-crimp, but the OP said he already did this. We also don't know what kind of loader the OP is using.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
My machine (800+) is set so the wad is just inserted enough so shot doesn't spill out the top during the pre-crimp. The final crimp will still push the wad column down.

Cyanzer, which ways are you doing the pre-crimp and final crimps? They need to work together.

Another thing about the AA hull is they are notorious for a small hole in the center. Total length of the empty hull can and will vary causing this problem also.

And as Nebs ask, which loader are you using?

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
My machine (800+) is set so the wad is just inserted enough so shot doesn't spill out the top during the pre-crimp. The final crimp will still push the wad column down.

Cyanzer, which ways are you doing the pre-crimp and final crimps? They need to work together.

Another thing about the AA hull is they are notorious for a small hole in the center. Total length of the empty hull can and will vary causing this problem also.

And as Nebs ask, which loader are you using?
Good observation. The OP said he was adjusting both the pre-crimp and the final crimp. Usually, in order to close the hole, you should only adjust the pre-crimp downward a quarter to a half turn at a time until the hole closes, and not adjust the final crimp. I load lots of AAHS hulls and I don't have any problem with holes in the crimp.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I was loading these shells on a MEC 600 Jr. After doing some research this morning I realized I was not properly adjusting the pre-crimp. I was properly adjusting the final crimp, but I never actually made any changes to the pre-crimp. To be clear, this is my first time reloading. I plan to try adjusting the pre-crimp as has been mentioned and see if that fixes the problem. With all that being said, is it advised that the AA HS hulls should be loaded with 40 pounds of wad pressure or no wad pressure?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I used to load with a Mec 650 and I found 40 lbs of wad pressure was collapsing the wad. All you really need with the powders of today is to get the wad touching the powder. No pressure or a few lbs is sufficient. You might even need to change to a shorter wad as long as it is in the powder mfg reloading manual.

Don't get discouraged it's a slow process. As I mentioned with the AA hulls the lengths vary so even a small hole in the center is OK.

It won't be long and you'll catch on and be giving advice to someone new yourself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For my own edification, the pre-crimp is adjusted by loosening the allen-screw on the back left portion of the loader and adjusting the cam down for a lower pre-crimp and up for a higher pre-crimp. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
5,623 Posts
I can't help you with the MEC issue, but wad pressure should not be needed. Just enough to insert the wad into the hull and seat it over the powder.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Notice they are using a AA hull and at the end of the video there is a hole in the shell.

·
Registered
20,897 Posts
For my own edification, the pre-crimp is adjusted by loosening the allen-screw on the back left portion of the loader and adjusting the cam down for a lower pre-crimp and up for a higher pre-crimp. Is this correct?
NO. The precrimp station is the one before that one. Has the crimp starter in it.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
You close the gap by moving more hull length toward the center. The lower the pre-crimp the more the hull reaches into the center when crimped. Depth of the crimp should be at original depth of the factory shell.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I use the Claybuster clone CB 0178-12 gray wads. No problem with my single stage but my MEC 9000 GN will leave a small hole. I had to lower my pre crimp to get more hull wall to close the opening. If you change hulls such as Remington hulls you will need to reset your reloader again.
From Claybuster,
CB0178-12 (WAA12L)
For use in 7/8 to 1 oz. trap, skeet or sporting clay loads. Performs best in tapered hulls, Remington or Winchester.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
There is a point when lowering the pre-crimp starts to buckle the hull. On My 650 I had to find that point and adjust just above it. Still had some holes but I believe that's due to varying hull length.

Reactions: mss13928

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The crimp station on a MEC press has 2 adjustments. One for the crimp depth and one for the shell taper. By lowering the Body of the crimp die increases the taper and closes the Hole. Let up on the crimp depth a little when you lower the the die body. On the Progressive machines it is the final station (#6) on a 9000 G.
Check the Owners manual.. Owner's Manuals for Shotshell Reloaders

1 - 20 of 69 Posts