Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an e-mail today from Winchester touting some new grades of ammunition, including what they are calling AA Diamond Grade. This is what they have to say about it:

"Designed for the serious shooter
Simply the best, Winchester's premier clay target ammunition
AA Diamond Grade is the premier product for the accomplished target shooter. Loaded with super high antimony lead shot that is precision sorted and copper plated. The pattern density and performance with this product is unmatched, yielding solid breaks on the most demanding targets."

Note that the shot is copper plated. What are they smoking at Winchester? Plated shot is not allowed, per ATA Rule XIII.G.2.

Maybe it's for skeet, or something.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Did you read the new AA product releases. One is a 1oz. 7 1/2 shot but when they describe the shell the describe it as the AA steel (but the shell is lead shot in photo) so I am guessing the AA steel is a new steel hull shell & brass washed???? Maybe the guys at the shot show will be able to shed some light on this. Sure hope AA don't go the way of steel too.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I ever heard of the stuff was what I received today. It says, ". . . super high antimony lead shot . . .".
Back of the box says it's 8% antimony, nickel plated case head and "Designed For Sporting Clays And Other Serious Competition. That would include trap, I think.

Font Ammunition

Emergency light Technology Electronic device

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
I received an e-mail today from Winchester touting some new grades of ammunition, including what they are calling AA Diamond Grade. This is what they have to say about it:

"Designed for the serious shooter
Simply the best, Winchester's premier clay target ammunition
AA Diamond Grade is the premier product for the accomplished target shooter. Loaded with super high antimony lead shot that is precision sorted and copper plated. The pattern density and performance with this product is unmatched, yielding solid breaks on the most demanding targets."

Note that the shot is copper plated. What are they smoking at Winchester? Plated shot is not allowed, per ATA Rule XIII.G.2.

Maybe it's for skeet, or something.
A thread was started yesterday on this new offering if you care to read what others have to say about this new offering.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I got the same E-mail today as well and was wondering where to use that Ammo . I think it would be ok for international Trap ,sporting clays and ZZ-birds ,since it is fast . It looks like high $$ Ammo and probably is

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got the same E-mail today as well and was wondering where to use that Ammo . I think it would be ok for international Trap ,sporting clays and ZZ-birds ,since it is fast . It looks like high $$ Ammo and probably is
Yep, copper plated shot has been used in international trap for quite some time. I've won a few boxes in local events as prizes but have never been able to justify how expensive it was.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Better idea would be bring back the old CF loads. Heavy Red 7 1/2 was a dream load.
I hear ya, a few weeks ago I gentleman on this site gave me several thousand AA hulls. They were a mix of old and new, after sorting them I ended up with about 800 or so once fired CF AA hulls. That was the real prize in the bunch.

Derek

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Might work well on them targets with wings
I might try a box of 'em on game farm pheasants if I can find them. Right now I use Remington Nitro Sporting Clays; I don't want to run hotter stuff like Fiocchi Golden Pheasant through my 1100 Competition Synthetic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I think they like this Black and the word Diamond! This is some old ammo came in a box of 10 12 ga. 1 1/8 of 7.5 . Box says Target loads on the bottom and top flap. Not sure why they made target loads in a box of 10 though? Maybe for some sort of foreign target game. They also say made in Italy. No mentioning of any plating although the shot is shinier than the standard offerings. I did notice on their website that they have categorized this as ammo for the Sporting Clays venue. Probably fits right in with the Pilla Shooting glasses, that I am still a little skeptical of.

I think the standard AA's are doing just fine for me, but if some of you engineering background shooters could come up with some definitive testing to see if they pattern better, shoot straighter and are worth the extra money, please share that with the rest of us. I purchase copper plated 6's whenever I find them for a good price at a Sportsman show or the local Arms Collectors show for Quail, but have never seen anything that actually compares them in a head to head graph with lead.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, I do have that in #6 that I use for Quail! Maybe someone out here knows why a low brass #6 copper plated shot 12 gauge ammo cartridge is in a Winchester Target Ammo Box? I do not know of any of the target venues that allow that unless you are down south target shooting live pigeons. Never have done that myself, only have heard of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting all of the various styles of ammo that AA has gone through. 1220 fps is an interesting speed that I have never heard of either.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts