Trapshooters Forum banner

Winchester 572 Powder

5482 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Shooting Coach
I'm helping a friend get started reloading. He wants to load 12, 20, 28 and .410. I've given him recommendations for all the necessary components but the vendor he drove 180 miles to make his purchases didn't have either of the 28 ga powders I recommended and sold him 8 pounds of Winchester 572. I find no reloading data for 572. He was told by the vendor that 572 is the new iteration of 571. Assuming that this is true can the published data for 571 be used for his 572 powder? Or can someone direct me to current data for Winchester 572 for use in 28 ga loads using WWHS hulls, WW209 primers and CB 5034 28 HS wads and 3/4 ounces of shot? Thanks for any help with this - I am out of my comfort zone here. I sure wish he had been able to find the Alliant 28 ga powders that I recommended! JPM
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
322 Posts
JPM: I've used that powder with that exact same load for 28ga. I found it to be low recoil but on the dirty side as compared to 20/28 or Unique. I would buy it again if I couldn't find 20/28 or Unique to load 28ga and 20ga. I know it can't be used for 410's and I don't shoot 12ga anymore so I can't comment.

· Registered
355 Posts
This isn't answering your question but if I may I'll share my experience. I have good success loading 572 in 28ga. HS hulls. I did find however that genuine winchester hs wads take up a little more volume and worked better for me compared to the CB version.

· Registered
4,998 Posts
Also 572 is not a new version (iteration) of 571. Two completely different powders. Win. 571 is no longer being sold but I am told it is marketed now as a Hodgdon HS powder (6 or 7 I forget which). Always check loading manuals to verify the appropriate charge for your powder.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. His only use for the 572 will be for the 28 ga loads and his 8 lb keg will last a long, long time. If he does run out of the 572 I'll hope that one of the Alliant powders that I recommended will be back in stock. He is set with other powders for 12 ga and 20 ga. I told him he was on his own for his .410 loading as I quit loading .410 many years ago. He is not a competitive shooter, not a member of ATA, NSCA or NSSA. Just a new recreational shooter with whom I share ushering and Sunday School classes at our church. I appreciate the help in my attempt to guide him to safe and effective reloading. JPM

· Registered
8,311 Posts
Also 572 is not a new version (iteration) of 571. Two completely different powders. Win. 571 is no longer being sold but I am told it is marketed now as a Hodgdon HS powder (6 or 7 I forget which). Always check loading manuals to verify the appropriate charge for your powder.
571 and HS7 were identical. Neither has been produced for quite a few years now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.