Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here into 1885's?

Winchester has brought out a lot of new 1885 High Walls and Low Walls in calibers to please just about anyone.

<br>
High Walls with 28" octagon barrels in:

223 Rem<br>
22-250<br>
220 Swift<br>
270<br>
30-06<br>
300 Win Mag<br>
300 WSM<br>
270 WSM<br>

<br>
Low Walls with 24" octagon barrels in:

22 LR<br>
22 WMRF<br>
17 HMR<br>
17 WSM<br>

In addition to a pile of original Winchester 1885s, I have Browning 1885 High Walls in 223, 22-250 and 25-06. I have long been wanting a 30-06 and a 17 HMR. I've killed more critters with my 223 High Wall than with all my other guns combined.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
I love 1885s and have them in both Browning and Winchester. My Brownings in .45-70(high wall), 7mmRemMag(high wall), and .243Win(low wall); Winchesters in .223(low wall) and .17HMR(low-wall). Forgot I also have one in .357Mag. They are all shooters. Inspite of the relatively long barrels, they're surprisingly handy. Looking for one in .260Rem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have the one Winchester 1885 in 22 rimfire,it is now 22 mag. One good shooter!Then there is the 1885
Browning in 22 Hornet. It is pretty close to my very favorite groundhog gun. It is a 3/8" gun at 100yds.
The last is the Browning 1885 in 22-250.Haven't really spent the development time I should give it.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The top one is a Browning .38-55 with a custom buttstock, the middle one is a Winchester .45-70 and the bottem one is a Winchester "Creedmore" .45-90. All three sport MVA soule rear sights and MVA Globe front sights.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
I had an octagon bbl. Browning B-78 in .22-250....burled walnut....traded if for a Smith 29-8 3/8" I just had to have....which I sold at a profit...wish I had the high wall back...

Ron Burr

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old Cowboy, those are nice. I'll have to take some photos of my 1885 collection.

I also need to find a good barrel smith who can rebore a couple of shot out barrels (#3 octagons in 32-40 and 40-65) so I can make 45-70's out of them. I haven't kept up on barrel reboring. Probably should compare the costs to replacement barrels. It's been a while since I had one rebored.

Have a couple of restorations nearing completion. Need to get a Low Wall in .22 LR reblued. Looking for someone who can do it in the old dark blue-gray, not modern black.

1885's are my favorite rifle. But I also collect lever guns.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have fun with my Uberti 45-70. Shoots 405 grain lead bullets very well at moderate velocities. Has the look of an antique Winchester. I can also use it and not worry about knocking the value down a few thousand dollars on an original.

Joe

·
Registered
679 Posts
Brian - I have the new Winchester Hi-Wall in 223.....With Siera 52 gr bullets & 748 it shoots 1.2" groups at 200 yards all day long.....Mike Venturino will have all the info you will need for a good barrel smith for your old shot out barrels - [email protected] shootin' - Pete

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Very nice, glad someone put the price up, so I could quit thinking about a new 220 Swift

Nice socks John, hope they are keeping your feet warm in this heat wave we are having.

Rick in MT

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The reason I wear a brown sock on the left foot and a blue sock on the right is so I know which way to put my boots on in the morning.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bruce, a Browning Model 12 in 20ga? I have one. Have used it for upland and pheasants. Nice and light for field carry. Have shot trap and sporting clays with it too. Paid $450 used for it, as it had a small ding in the stock.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
# 1 in the case hardening of these guns is Doug Turnbull Manufacturing (restoration) in Bloomfield, NY.

You may want to investigate Turnbull when looking to get your guns case hardened or rebored.

Of course that is Doug on the left.

Ryan on the left is the checkering expert at Turnbull, and Sam on the right is one of the gun smiths at Turnbull.

A sample of Ryan's work

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turnbull is in NY? I wonder if he can legally make any more color cased steel receiver AR15s? (See link)

Anyway, his price list shows $275 to color case an 1885 action. I'm tempted to send him my 1885 Low Wall .22 LR action I'm restoring. I was debating about whether to blue it or nickel plate it. I need to assemble all the parts and test fire it. Everything is "in the white" right now. I've salvaged the original stocks, which were beat up badly and cracked. They look good but there is still a couple of imperfections on them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Like those 85's, have an old one in 219 Zipper with single set trigger. I been thinking about getting rid of extra trap gun or guns for a 38-55, 375 or 45-70. Shooting cast is a kick.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Brian,

That is a good question about any more AR-15 receivers.

NY laws change more often than I change my britches.

No wonder I moved away from there...

Dave in SC

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CDNN is supposed to still have these models in inventory, especially the Trapper.

I think the trapper in 30-40 Krag would make a nice pack rifle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts