Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wayne mays shot a 1400 Winchester when he started shooting clay targets. most people do not rate the 1400 very high as a quality gun ect. does anyone out there know what parts he replaced and/or kept on hand when this was his "main gun" to keep it going? this has to be one of the most shot 1400's ever. is there a accurate estimate of the number of shells he shot thru "blondie" ect.?
I know he was primarily a skeet shooter but was also pretty handy on the trap field.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
I would guess he had a whole complete spare gun or two in the trunk.

The gun currently sits in the NSSA Museum in San Antonio.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I own a 1400 and can tell you that for a low cost gun it is incredibly dependable. I've used mine for about everything from skeet, to trap doubles, to small game hunting, to carrying with slugs (which it shot quite well) to follow a bow killed bears blood trail. The only problem I've encountered is the rib is a pinned rib and mine would break the pins and then the rib would work its way forward of the barrel while shooting. Duct tape solved that problem!..lol Truly a very underestimated firearm. For just a alloy framed gun it just seems they shouldn't shoot as well as they do.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
A Sears 300, Winchester 140, and Ranger 140 have interchangeable parts with the Winchester 1400. Those shotguns can be found in garage sales and pawn shops for about $100. They had a dull finish blue and birch or ash stocks, that was the only difference.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I had a mod 1400 with a trap stock that I shot very well for doubles. Like any other auto, it needed regular cleaning. I wish I could talk my Brother out of it and then find a release trigger and maybe I'd try it again. Larry Evans

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
the production crew had about 15 dukes of hazard dodge chargers on set for demolition....much like mayes had winchester 1400's. if you can catch what im saying.
dont you think winchester was smart enough to ensure it never broke down in his hands while being used?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I love mine. So much so that I bought 3 more. Two of them, a 12 & 20 were boought at an estate auction & are NIB 1400's! Hard to find these days.

i_shoot

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
My wife started shooting ATA trap with one in 1973. I had a Bishop trap stock made for it. She shot it well and it had a fantastic choke (fixed full). We traded it when I couldn't keep the trigger fixed, and she went to a pump gun. The latest auto on that design before the Super X was the model 1500. I shot my first 100 straight with it at the old Nasnville Gun Club. I shot that gun really well, but, it started doubling on me when I shot doubles with it. Again I sent the gun off 2 different times ,but, never could get the trigger fixed. Other that trigger woes,it was a great gun. You can still find them around today at decent prices.

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
twoatlow8,---- NO , it is a magizine tube fed semi auto manufactured from the early 60s to the early 90s. They were made in 12 and 20 gauge. They had aluminum recievers. There were some trap models built but they were never really popular and most I have seen were at the old "Winchester Gun Clubs". Winchester made a later model for a shot time calling it a "model 1500" the same time that the model 1300 replaced the 1200 pump gun. Winchester discontinued them and replaced them with the Super X 1

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have one that I've had since 1973. I just bought a new firing pin, mine still works but is eroded. . I have shot all sorts of small game, trap, skeet, and for the heck of it sporting clays once in a while. I have heard that a part in the magazine tube is plastic and is very hard to find. I won't shoot mine in cold weather due to potential of cracking or breaking this part. Good memories, just keep it clean!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a complete 1400 bolt I will sell if anyone is interested. This might be good to have if you break an extractor or a firing pin; you can just replace the complete bolt quickly with out switching guns. A definite advantage for the semi-auto shooter.

I had a 1400 for a short time. I was a decent gun. It hit targets very hard as most Winchester guns do. The barrel was pretty much the same as a Super-X barrel except for the breech lock up with the bolt.

Hit 'em hard,

John

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I have two complete 1400s that are complete and working. One is an early model with a few fixed choke barrels and the other is a MKII later edition with the Winchokes. The bolt releases are different between the two versions. Both I bought new way back when. I have about three others that are there for my parts supplies. These guns need regular cleaning unless you want an ugly and heavy single shot. It doesn't take many shells to gum them up to the point where they will not function. Springs, extractors, firing pins, and ejectors are common replacement parts. I usually shoot one until it stops and then shoot the other one while I clean and fix the first one. Mid-South and Numrich/Gun Parts Corp had parts for them a few years back. Ebay is another source. There is no need for a mag plug for migratory birds. They are three shots unless someone did some extreme modifications. Part of the gas system uses the front part of the mag tube. It limits the room left for shells.

They work when they work, but I doubt I'd bet my life on one.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Peter J., (repeteclay) has shot one of these guns for YEARS!! His high scores over the years is mighty impressive to say the least!! One of the nicest guys I've ever met and can the man shoot! A great cook too in shooting camps or in the wilds chasing elk!!

HAP

·
Registered
264 Posts
Slide action, they were also made in 16 gauge. I have had two of them. They were ugly, clunky but never missed a beat, always functioned correctly, never had any problems with the two I had and I put several hundred rounds through them and never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts