Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Winchester 101 Field, is there a place for it on a Trap Range? Rounding out my search for a shotgun suitable for trapshooting, I found a 101, field grade, 30", fixed full choke. Offered to me; by a friend and at a reasonable price, $1300 ???, is a minty 101 that may only need a mid bead to make it work. Am I right? Thanks.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
There are a lot of better options in the $1300 range or less.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I was fortunate enough to get a 34" top single with 32" over/under Winchester 101 for $1300. I got a good deal, but that price for a 30" only isn't a good deal. The only time it kicks hard, with any load, is when I don't keep my head down, or don't have it in the correct spot in my shoulder. User error seems to be the most common cause of these guns kicking so hard.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Also look for a Winchester Expert 96. Often referred to as the 'poor mans 101'. Trap versions go for less than a grand on gunbroker.

·
Premium Member
11,583 Posts
I once used a friend's 101 field grade on several occasions. I had no trouble with recoil and it shot well enough for me that I tried to buy it from him. No sale.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I will sell my briley choked pigeon grade trap 101. Absolutely beautiful and Keith Heeg did the adjustable unit and recoil pad.. beautiful gun.. 1600 firm.... plus shipping...

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
101's have a reputation for being hard kicking...I've shot several and did well with each of them but they were trap models; a field gun would probably need an adjustable comb installed and you certainly don't need a mid bead on ANY trap gun; all that wiggling around trying to line up a figure 8 bead picture is distracting as Hell...the gun should shoot straight when mounted by feel..at any rate 1300 is probably a little high but you said it was "mint" so maybe it is worth it but not for a trap gun imo

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Back in 2005 I paid $1250 for an as new in box 101 with 30" fixed choke barrels. It was a great gun to learn the basics and recoil was never a problem. In fact, I shot 500 doubles targets one day shooting Walmart Federal 1 1/8th with no problem. It is still my doubles/skeet/SC gun as I had an adjustable comb cut, Briley chokes installed and a release trigger done to it. It has really nice wood and looks great. If it's a good fit, looks good and you can get it for a bit less, it can serve you well.

Felt recoil is all about gun fit and gun mount because the laws of physics are, well, the laws of physics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts