Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced the difference between a classic 101 and the new Select range? I personally have a 101 Pigeon Trap adj, however, it's over 30 years old and showing some major wear. I'm coming to the realisation that it won't be around forever and should learn to shoot something new. It's a shame that the 101 is discontinued or id buy one straight up.. even s/h they are hard to come by at all in the UK, let alone in good condition. Is the Select Trap adj any good at all? I'm aware the finish quality is average, but handling and shootability wise are they at all comparable to a 101? It's the light weight, thin pistol grip and wide rib of the 101 that I like the most.

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
Has anyone experienced the difference between a classic 101 and the new Select range? I personally have a 101 Pigeon Trap adj, however, it's over 30 years old and showing some major wear. I'm coming to the realisation that it won't be around forever and should learn to shoot something new. It's a shame that the 101 is discontinued or id buy one straight up.. even s/h they are hard to come by at all in the UK, let alone in good condition. Is the Select Trap adj any good at all? I'm aware the finish quality is average, but handling and shootability wise are they at all comparable to a 101? It's the light weight, thin pistol grip and wide rib of the 101 that I like the most.
If by "classic" you mean the inception era, they were built as good as a Citori.

New ones not comparable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If by "classic" you mean the inception era, they were built as good as a Citori.

New ones not comparable.
Mine was made in Japan - so Miroku / Browning quality. It looks like these Select O/U are Winchesters European models made in Portugal. If I wanted a new 101 it would need to be imported from the US. A lot of cash on top of $2700 for the gun! Not worth it as you say

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not a 100% sure but if you are talking about the Winchester Select Energy trap gun that was sold in North America , they did have an issue with the fore stock cracking. Keep the screws tight and you should be okay. It was a nice shooting gun for me.
Darrell

·
Registered
176 Posts
My daughter has a select energy sporting. Its a good gun but built more like a beretta than a browning as far as the lockup system. So far it's a good gun. I know a guy that shoots a lot a sporting and shoots he has had it for quite a while and it's still running. You can get the Select Energy gun here is the states pretty reasonably priced too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My daughter has a select energy sporting. Its a good gun but built more like a beretta than a browning as far as the lockup system. So far it's a good gun. I know a guy that shoots a lot a sporting and shoots he has had it for quite a while and it's still running. You can get the Select Energy gun here is the states pretty reasonably priced too.
Yes, they're pretty cheap especially new. I'm just looking for a multichoke, adjustable comb trap gun - as I tend to prefer a more open choke and need to raise the comb due to my height. It seems one of the only around that you can buy new like that without it having been modified.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The 101 was built in the Nikko Kodensha plant in Japan. It is virtually identical with the Nikko O/U, with only minor differences which were put in place to keep them with a separate identity. Whilst good 101,s are now in short supply in the UK, there are quite a few good Nikkos to be found. When I worked in the trade, we sold both makes, and found that they handled and shot the same. I still have a couple of Nikkos, and a 101 Sporter. When checking online sellers, they often describe the 101 wrongly, as "made in the USA"........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.