Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A young lady has been shooting her grandfathers 101 Winchester (top single) for the High School trap competitions. Gun fits her good and she was shooting it quite well.
Few months ago at a state competition the safety button fell out and of course the gun ceased to function. Her father gave me the gun for repair a week or so ago and I removed the stock and took a look. First thing I noticed was the complete firing system for a lower barrel had been removed. Firing pin and spring, hammer spring and guide, sear and so on were gone....... appears the hammer was ground off and rather loose spacers had been installed where gaps had been created. I have ordered the parts I need to repair the safety and I am in the process of making spacers that actually fill the gaps. I am guessing the safety block had moved sideways enough to "jam" and lockup and when she went to apply the safety "SNAP" went the button.
Has anyone run across this before? Is there any good reason to disable that part of the gun? I am just wondering why in the world would anyone do this................. Larry

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
128 Posts
A young lady has been shooting her grandfathers 101 Winchester (top single) for the High School trap competitions. Gun fits her good and she was shooting it quite well.
Few months ago at a state competition the safety button fell out and of course the gun ceased to function. Her father gave me the gun for repair a week or so ago and I removed the stock and took a look. First thing I noticed was the complete firing system for a lower barrel had been removed. Firing pin and spring, hammer spring and guide, sear and so on were gone....... appears the hammer was ground off and rather loose spacers had been installed where gaps had been created. I have ordered the parts I need to repair the safety and I am in the process of making spacers that actually fill the gaps. I am guessing the safety block had moved sideways enough to "jam" and lockup and when she went to apply the safety "SNAP" went the button.
Has anyone run across this before? Is there any good reason to disable that part of the gun? I am just wondering why in the world would anyone do this................. Larry
Can’t logically reason why the removal of lower firing system parts would be eliminated . Did you get it repaired?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Since the gun is a top single there is no reason to have a firing mechanisim for a bottom barrel that isn't there.
Is there any good reason to disable that part of the gun? I am just wondering why in the world would anyone do this

·
Premium Member
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gun is actually a 101 Combo. She, of course, only shot the top single barrel as there are were no internals for the O/U set. Lower portion of the bottom hammer had been reinstalled as a spacer and other crude home made spacers were installed where other parts were removed . The gun was not new when her Grandfather bought it and he did not do the "modification".
I did repair the gun. Various pieces had worn from lack of proper support so I made some correct spacers etc to hold the safety block and other pieces in their proper position.
The Grandfather had disposed with the O/U set years and years ago.
Its strange the things often found that were done for no apparent reason......... Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts