Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1967 Winchester 101 O/U I'm going to use it mostly for sporting clays and also shoot some trap with it. The barrels are full/full. Any suggestions for modifications, was thinking of sending it in the briley to get it choked and or getting the forcing cones reamed to tame some the recoil. I havent received the gun yet so I will shoot it first, not sure if recoil will be an issue as I am large framed and it never seems to effect me. I will see how it shoots first before pulling the trigger on any mods. Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Customf I owned an older Win. 101back in the day. I did not do any barrel modifications but I did have to have the pitch angle on the stock changed! It kicked the crap out of me before this change. I must add that my 101 was a trap combo with Monte Carlo stock. Yes, shoot it first and see how it treats you. Good luck. Jerry

·
Registered
245 Posts
Don't do anything to the gun until you have it fitted to you. The 101, if the LOP and the pitch angle at the butt aren't correct, will seem to be a hard recoiling gun. But, so will every other 12 gauge that has the wrong dimensions for your body style. I am one of those whose body shape has no problems with the factory 101s, as it fits me. So, I don't think they kick hard. Brownings do, especially the Citori. It all depends on the fit.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I shot a 101 for years with no adverse recoil problems. Mine had a MC stock and 32" Full/Improved Modified barrels. I had it fitted with a mercury recoil device and a good quality recoil pad with some slight pitch adjustments. Shot it for years.....

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
I think you will be smart to test the gun and ensure it fits you. I had a 101 trap (70's model) and shot it well but it kicked more than Browning guns so I traded it for one. The 101's are great guns but somehow are not a fit for me. Good luck. Ralph

·
Registered
8,332 Posts
I wrote Herb Orre once about putting choke tubes in my 101 and he said the barrel wall thickness of the 101s was "too thin to install screw-in chokes". That was likely 20 years ago, but apparently Briley finally figured it out. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

Click on the link for an interesting thread on this subject.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Recoil WILL be a problem. I wouldn't spend any more money on it because you'll be sending it down the road sooner rather than later. Sorry to rain on your parade, but I've already been down that road.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Had a 101, it was pitched absolutely flat and kicked like my sister when we were little.

Sawed a wedge out of the stock with my miter box, and it was a great improvement.

I think I wound up with 1 & 1/2 inches pitched down. Before you cut, put a wedge under the recoil pad that tapers from zero to about 3/8 inch and see how it works.

Putting the gun flat against the wall the front sight should be 1&1/2 to 2 inches away.

The link is to an article that is very interesting, using quarters to re pitch the gun and shooting it to check.

Read it.

HM

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Unfortunately they tend to need fit to the individual more than some others. However, they never kicked me like any of the Citori's I've owned and there have been several including XT's.

I started using them in 86' and stayed with them till 08'. I went from Perazzi's to them because they worked.

Now you can get it tubed by Briley as I like my O/U's to have same POI and a special tube was made got my second gun.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I shoot a '65 101 and love it. I installed a graco adjustable buttplate and a kickezz 15/16" thick recoil pad and now that it is adjusted recoil is not an issue. Dave

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My son has one we picked up late last summer.
He only complains about recoil when he shoots the top barrel (full).

I just ordered a Graco adjutable butt plate and a Kickeez 15/16 pad just as Okiecrasher said he did. Haven't got them installed yet but hope it works for him.

I've shot a couple rounds of 16's with bottom barrel and a couple rounds fromthe 27 and noticed no difference from top to botttom. Maybe the gun fits me better. Shot it as well as my 870, 24's and 25's from either yardage and no difference in recoil.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The wrong pitch is a common problem with 101s.

Using the same posture used when you shoot, slowly mount the gun with the barrels raised to a normal shooting height. Bright the gun back to your shoulder. If the whole recoil pad, top to bottom, makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder, the pitch is correct FOR YOU.

Very likely, the bottom "toe" of the recoil pad will make contact before the top "heel" of the pad. If it does, loosen the pad attachment screws. Put washers or some kind of shim between the stock and the top attachment screw until you get the whole pad making simultaneous contact with your shoulder as the gun is mounted.

101s also had pretty poor recoil pads. It would be a good idea to replace it with a better Limbsaver or KickEez pad.

If you are much taller than 5' 10" it would also be a good idea to mount the gun with the top of the recoil pad extending close to an inch above your collarbone. It would help you shoot with a more natural head and neck posture.

Rollin - author of "Stock Fitter's Bible"

·
Registered
385 Posts
While on the subject of 101's, has anyone shot the newer one made in Belgium for Winchester? If so, let us know what you thought. Also if anybody runs across a buttstock for a Belgian 101 for sale please let me know. THANKS.....BUD 51nine-93six-240three.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think the problem will be more in the choking of the gun than the fit. My 13year old son did quite well with a 101 when he started. I shot it well too. Full chokes for Sporting Clays will be a challenge for a lot of birds. Trap, not so much. If I were to use for Sporting or 5 stand, I would consider an IC or LM under an IM choke to be ideal, But that is just me.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Back in the day { I think 1981 } Winchester brought twin bathing suit models to the grand to pass out and sign posters of themselves in the Winchester building.

I remarked to Mike Jordan that Winchester was using sex and violence to sell their products.

They had the twins for the sex and the 101 to kick the shit out of you. Brad

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been shooting some trap using a small machine I picked up locally. Have a Merkel 200e over under 12 gauge, and it fits me well, and there is so little kick, I can shoot it all day. There is quite a bit of cant on the stock, which is probably why it is so easy shooting. I hit 20-23 out of 25 regularly, and am thinking of going to the local club to shoot a few on trap night.

I found a Winchester 101 Pigeon grade 12 gauge (32 inch barrel ) like new, with briley custom 28 gauge tubeset. The original owner had shot it very little, used the 28 gauge for sporting clays. The 2nd owner never shot it, had it in the safe for 12 years. So it is like new. Will be interesting this weekend to shoot it, and see how the kick is compared to my Merkel.

I am fortunate enough to have a local gunsmith who trained at Churchill in London. He is 10 minute drive from my house. Will have him look at the fit on the Pigeon grade.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts