Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking of installing a release trigger in a Model 12 trap gun. Local veteran shooter tells me to think twice about that as unsetting a set trigger on this gun is awkward due to the slide release being at the aft end of the trigger guard. Have shot Remington 1100 and 870 releases with the unset tab for many years and a break-open gun now. His point seems valid???

·
Registered
292 Posts
Several years ago I picked up a release trigger group for a M12 and have used it some since. The release is very smooth without any undue motions. I seem to shoot it pretty well for maybe a box of shells, then I begin to flinch with it. I know, you aren't supposed to flinch with a release trigger, but I've never gotten over the problem. I hope it's different for you because it certainly is frustrating.

Johnpe

·
Premium Member
1,675 Posts
resetting a release on a Model 12 is something you can get use to without to much problem. Provided you are not Left Handed and the release trigger operates properly. ( the reset)

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Johnpe, some guys can't release either the release trigger or pull one either. Rather than the fact yours is a release trigger, there must be other issues to figure out additionally. Many variables to look at. Felt recoil, heavy loads, lack of sufficient weight, ill fit stock, hands too big for stock grip and on and on! Flinches can come in many different forms, even with release triggers!

HAP

·
Banned
818 Posts
I know several shooters who flinch with a release, I feel bad for them ... Dave MCGaffee who used to run the Ben Avery Gun Club was a big time skeet shooters until it got to him and he couldn't let go ... Think he eventually went back to a pull trigger and suffered with it ...

I have several Model 12's and can shoot a release in them if I have to, but don't even think about it ... I own several release as well as pull triggers for them ... I do not normally ( or abnormally) shoot a release trigger ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
I shot a Model 12 for years with a release, and never had a problem with unsetting the trigger.
All you do is to keep pointing it down range and a little elevated and push the little lever with your left finger and it will reset the trigger. If I remember right, the slide would actually slide back a little.

No problem. You'll get used to it.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
408 Posts
For me it is very easy, while keeping tension on the trigger, roll my hand and push the slide release with my middle finger. I do it in one motion while the gun is still on my shoulder. Then fully open the gun before dismounting. Being right handed, this allows me to keep my left hand of the forearm and in complete control of the muzzle. Very safe, very easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts