Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a between the wars Win Model 12 in 16 ga 2 9/16 inch chamber with a solid rib and "mostly gone" finish. I enjoy shooting it, but the short chamber caused problems with ejection and the case mouths were blown to the point that reloading them was problematic. Therefore, I had the chamber lengthened to 2 3/4 inch. Now the case mouths are not as blown, but ejection is still an issue (about 20% fail to eject, holding up in the ejection port). Are there other parts that need to be changed or modified to allow use of 2 3/4 inch shells? Opening the ejection port seems to be an obvious fix, but I do not want to have this done if other part changes or modifications will solve the issue. Any advise is welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a between the wars Win Model 12 in 16 ga 2 9/16 inch chamber with a solid rib and "mostly gone" finish. I enjoy shooting it, but the short chamber caused problems with ejection and the case mouths were blown to the point that reloading them was problematic. Therefore, I had the chamber lengthened to 2 3/4 inch. Now the case mouths are not as blown, but ejection is still an issue (about 20% fail to eject, holding up in the ejection port). Are there other parts that need to be changed or modified to allow use of 2 3/4 inch shells? Opening the ejection port seems to be an obvious fix, but I do not want to have this done if other part changes or modifications will solve the issue. Any advise is welcome and appreciated.
Simple fix, Have the ejection port lengthened. Any good machinist with a Bridgeport mill should be able to do it.I have opened several. Do not remember what the amount to mill off the barrel end of the port .But I can measure one of mine if you want to know. Whom ever lengthened the chamber should have known the port needed opening. Winchester would do it in the day when all their guns went to 2 3/4" chambers. They would even make the same change to 3" mag on 12 ga for a while then they quit because the Heavy duck guns had thicker barrels on them and considered the liability of doing it for the 12ga's.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Simple fix, Have the ejection port lengthened. Any good machinist with a Bridgeport mill should be able to do it.I have opened several. Do not remember what the amount to mill off the barrel end of the port .But I can measure one of mine if you want to know. Whom ever lengthened the chamber should have known the port needed opening. Winchester would do it in the day when all their guns went to 2 3/4" chambers. They would even make the same change to 3" mag on 12 ga for a while then they quit because the Heavy duck guns had thicker barrels on them and considered the liability of doing it for the 12ga's.
Calculating the amount to lengthen the ejection port should be pretty straight forward. 2 3/4” is the same as 2 12/16 so most likely 3/16 if my math is correct. Would probably go with lengthening by 1/8 and check for function before taking anymore off

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Bought a really nice 16 ga. model 12 once. Pretty wood and Simmons rib. Ejection port had been lengthened so I thought all was well. Kicked like a mule and wouldn't eject. Somehow still had a short chamber. Numbers matched. Sent it to Simmons and they reamed the chamber.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bought a really nice 16 ga. model 12 once. Pretty wood and Simmons rib. Ejection port had been lengthened so I thought all was well. Kicked like a mule and wouldn't eject. Somehow still had a short chamber. Numbers matched. Sent it to Simmons and they reamed the chamber.
DUH! What decent gunsmith thinks if he lengthens the chamber that the conversion job is complete. Sometime opening the port length still won't get it. You can only go so far without getting into the chamber ring. So you have to set the little lug on the ejector back a little to get them to clear the port. Reaming the chamber and testing function with dummy rounds they will eject. A fired shell is approximately 1/4" longer than an unfired shell. They need to be tested for function with fired empty shells or better tested by actually firing and pumping to test for proper ejection.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanx to all...the Mdl 12 is on its way to have the port opened and function checked by a gunsmith familiar with all of the issues. Hopefully, this will take care of the issue. Still fun to shoot and with the port opened, the second shot will be much easier...now if I could only hit everything with the first shot, life would be really good...

Again, Thanx to all for the good information...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Keep us posted on how it works out.

I have a Model 12 16 gauge that I grew up with. It’s a 1950s vintage, 2-3/4" that has hell with ejecting modern ammo.
Excluding the Euro trash shells, it hangs many brands of hulls in the ejection port and pierces primers in Remington black game loads. about the only shells I’ve found that do pretty well are Federal game loads.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Keep us posted on how it works out.

I have a Model 12 16 gauge that I grew up with. It’s a 1950s vintage, 2-3/4" that has hell with ejecting modern ammo.
Excluding the Euro trash shells, it hangs many brands of hulls in the ejection port and pierces primers in Remington black game loads. about the only shells I’ve found that do pretty well are Federal game loads.
Is your problem extraction or ejection? Two different functions. If it is extraction it could be anywhere from worn extractors or weak extractor springs or rough chamber or worn chamber or chamber ring not concentric with barrel chamber. If it is ejection could be a weak ejector spring or ejector wear.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The problem I am confronted with is ejection and yes, I’ve replaced the ejector, actually twice.

Extraction is not the problem except with certain Euro trash shells which I avoid using in any of my guns.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The ejection port end next to the barrel needs to be right up next to the chamber ring. This might be your problem if they are hanging up on the crimped end. Also some of the ejectors did not have the bevel ahead of the little lug on the ejector, Hard to trouble shoot without having the gun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, the 16 ga Mdl 12 is on its way back from the gunsmith after having the ejection port opened at both the top and front, the shell lifter "bump" removed, and the ejector modified by adding/altering a flat spot near the hump in the ejector. He shot it with Rio, Fed, Rem, WW, and Fio 16 ga shells and all worked for him. I will know soon enough if it works for me...it will be here next week. What I learned is that opening the ejection port and lengthening the chamber is not enough to get a 2 9/16's inch Mdl 12 to shoot 2 3/4's inch shells. Will let you know if there are still issues with it ejecting the shorter shells.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, it now ejects smoothly with no issues for several tested brands of 16 ga and all ejected smoothly when the shells are loaded one at a time (no shells in magazine). I am very happy with the work done by the gunsmith to correct the ejection issue. However, now that I have solved the ejection issue, it seems to have trouble feeding some types of shells. The shell stop still seems to fail to hold the shell loaded in the magazine. (The shells slip past the shell stop and rest against the forward edge of the shell lifter. ) This seems to cause issues with feeding with those same brands of shells. The worse shells for this issue were the Cabela's (cheddite) value loads which work flawlessly in my other 16 ga 1100 and 870. This was also an issue before the work done to correct the ejection issue on the Win Mdl 12...

New question: Is the shell slipping past the shell stop a known past issue with Win Mdl 12 shotguns? (I do not seem to have the same issue with my Brownchester Mdl 12 28 ga.) Any comments on how to address this issue are welcome.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts