Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THIS IS A 1937 WINCHESTER MODEL 42 .410 3"CHAMBER 26" SKEET BBL IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION IT WAS FACTORY REBLUED BY WINCHESTER IN THE 50'S, WHAT IS THE VALUE ON A GUN LIKE THIS? THANKS

turtleut_2012_280335.jpg

turtleut_2012_280336.jpg

turtleut_2012_280337.jpg

turtleut_2012_280338.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
A nice looking gun. Either the forearm has been changed or the buttstock.. They both should be either checkered or not checkered. You could order SKEET choking in a field grade gun. The lettering is still nice and crisp. I would value it in the $15-1600 range retail.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Checkering on buttstock looks worn. I agree with Mr. Boomer, metal work is selling factor on your 42. At some point, someone swapped out the wood, happens a lot to 42's, 12's.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WIN 42 3

I know that a win 42 in this condition and being a second or third year production piece are hard to find to say the least, i have seen browning 42s sell in the 15-16 range that number seems a bit low to me i had it in my mind it should bring about the 22-25 range? am i missing something? as far as the wood i am trying to find out the answer on that, but the metal is where the value is, the owner is looking to find the original receipt for the re-blue from Winchester he has it but it has been in two interstate moves and may take a bit to find but he does have it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
WIN 42 3

Wow you ask for an opinion and then disagree. I think you are out in left field on your price of 22 to 2500.00. I have bought 2 solid rib 42s this year 1 skeet and one full 1 was pre-war and one was mid 1950. I did not pay over $2100.00 for either one.

You have a reblued 42 with mis matched wood and the wrong site. I would say $900.00 to $1200.00 but I don't know much about 42s and this is only my opinion. Good luck with your sale.

Roger Eubanks

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
WIN 42 3

The gun is way to nice to be a 600 gun but now way near clean or original enough to fetch $2200 anywhere in between the two prices may work I would pay no more than $750 if it walked in to my shop and I would try to sell it for around 850-900 hard to get Over a thousand in that shape unless everything matches. the wood is a big detraction to it.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
WIN 42 3

Put it on an auction site. Set a reserve you feel comfortable with, and if it goes over that, you can't lose.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
WIN 42 3

If the finish is not ruined, it would sell to someone with a set of wood for $1400. Remember, the buyer is using a $700 set of wood to make the gun right. Better find that receipt and send us better pictures of the buttstock. The gun was probably originally a scarce Field Grade with skeet choke.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WIN 42 3

First off, thanks for all the info on this gun. I am by no means a 42 guru which is why I came on the forum to ask a think tank of shot-gunners with more knowledge and years than myself.

This 42 is a friend of mine and asked me to try and sell it for him and he told me to ask a price i am not comfortable with, i felt it was to high. so I asked for help and from you all and my thoughts on the gun were confirmed.

Rodger sorry if my question or discussion on the subject came across as not agreeing i was simply stating the position of the owner of the gun,to try and gain more info. that is the problem with text you cannot hear the tone or intent of a question.

Thanks again for the help i will let the owner know he is asking to much and see if he is willing to take a more reasonable price, if so i will list it in the For Sale threads.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
WIN 42 3

Do what a lot of imperfect 42 owners do - ask $1850 and drag it to the same gun show every two months for the next five years.

-Gary

·
Registered
489 Posts
WIN 42 3

You are correct Bill the pre-war guns were not salt blued. There was actually two types of blue on most guns of that era, the factory should have known that when they re-blued it?

Roger

·
Registered
412 Posts
WIN 42 3

Because it has been refinished and not original, I consider it a shooter. It is not a collector, thus not worth the big bucks. Maybe $1200 - 1400. If it had a factory letter stating it was refinished at Winchester, maybe more, but then the wood it wrong too.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
WIN 42 3

Roger has probably bought, sold and rebuilt more 42's than anyone on Ts so I think his opinion is pretty solid

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
WIN 42 3

The metal refinish could be quite nice or it could be a mess. There aren't a lot of good refinishes out there. Better closeup pictures may give us a better idea. The buyer still needs that $700 set of wood to make this gun right. Refinished and bad wood, $1000 to $1200 gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts