Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I noticed today !

Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing Company has introduced the Model 21 Over/Under.

Apparently Winchester had designed a Model 21 Over & Under many years ago, but chose never to build it, in 1996 CSMC purchased the Model 21 division from U.S. Repeating Arms Company, and they received all the tools, fixtures, and processes to build the gun.

Looks like a fine quality gun for the price,,,,Sale price when gun is purchased up front and in full.

Any Buyers of CSMC guns out there,...would appreciate any thoughts on this gun.

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/m21ou/M21ou.html

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I believe you will find the current offering is not the same O/U as what was designed years ago by Winchester.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that to say this isn't a good value for the money ?

I wonder how close to the original design it really is ? ...probably never find out, but does it matter ?

I wonder if CSMC actually builds a better gun than Winchester ?

·
Registered
685 Posts
to me it looks like a winner if you like 20 ga. if winchester was going to make i dont think they would of made 20 ga. only. jmo. maybe other gauges will come out in the future. thank god for the age of cnc machining and wire burning technolgy. howard

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I believe Winchester did build at least one. It's in the John Olin collection in the Buffalo Bill museum at Cody Wy. If I remember right there was more than one.

Ajax

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
The answer to the question that no one asked.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The current output of guns from CSMC and others are acceptable examples of the state of the art manufacturing processes. Banish from the mind any idea that every one of the guns manufactured 50-75 years ago was without fault and never required repairs.

Whether the quality of CNC machine made guns, in fit and functionality, is superior to that of early to mid-20th century only time will tell. Also, whether the manufacturers can survive with a dwindling cohort of buyers that can afford their output. That, even more than quality, will be the top priority to be considered. Today, more than ever, the bottom line on the financial report is their raison d'ê'tre.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Gamba Man, to answer your question, the new 21 over under has nothing in common with the 30's Winchester prototype except the appearance of the receiver. The gun is the same Rizzini design that the Inverness used, with appearance changes to make it resemble the Model 21. The Inverness is a great gun and the Model 21 over under will be a great gun. Get it while the price promotion is in effect.

·
Registered
135 Posts
With respect to comparing the quality of Winchester and CSMC model 21's, i believe that CSMC has the edge.

jlb

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Will it be offered in 12ga. with an adjustable comb, good triggers and the durability to stand up to a life of trapshooting? If not, I'm not interested. And BTW has anybody seen an A10 at a big trap shoot?

Ron Burr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ron Burr- They do have such an A10. They call it "The Hammer". I've had an A10 Deluxe with 32" barrels for a couple years. I use it for sporting clays and FITASC. No mechanical issues so far. The regular A10 is not designed for trap as it is a somewhat light, agile handling gun. The Hammer on the other hand is heavier, has the adjustable comb, adjustable rib, etc.,etc. You can see it on Connecticut Shotgun's website. I think they list it at $11k. winmod21

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Thanks winmod21. I shoot a Browning Superposed ST-100 for doubles (33 years on) and some think it's too light also. I think it's the best doubles gun extant but I'm biased. Haven't seen an A10 in the flesh yet. Would like to test drive one though.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I do not know about the Mod. 21 O?U BUT I have looked acrefully at their guns over a period of time. I have not been able tro see the insides of most of them but the externals appear to exhibit very high workmanship and fit and finish My only comment is about their RBL side by side. I found it very heavy and anything but quick handling. I don't know its roots but it did not feel like a European style field gun.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
jlb, maybe you should read the thread up to the point of your post. Your post has nothing to do with this thread. Thanks for coming, though.

·
Registered
15,944 Posts
Was intrigued when I saw them advertised and now this post. Have not seen many A-10's on any circuits (just Fitasc), although it looks like a well made gun. I spoke with a rep today and the 21 O/U is an eight month wait after paying in full. They are not planning any 28 gauge O/U 21's at this time, which is what I would really prefer. Might just order one anyway.

Glad too see another US manufacturer producing a quality product.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered and paid in full for an Inverness from CSM 19 months ago and have yet to see it. CSM says 8 months for a M-21 O/U. If a CSM 21 O/U is an Inverness/Rizzini that is shaped to look like a M-21 SXS how can they say they can deliver a 21 O/U in 8 months when I have yet to get my Inverness ??
If you order be prepared for a wait.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Yup, you are exactly right. I ordered the Inverness, it took 18 months, I was astounded when it got here. I will order a Model 21, it will take a long time, and I will be astounded when it gets here. The promotional price is what it's all about. No, I don't want to order that gun at full price, but at the promotional price, I am willing to wait and not WHINE. My eighteen months and your nineteen months are not too far apart. Keep us informed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts