Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Perazzi barrels back from Tom last week. I have read about his work, but I have never seen any photos. I am very impressed with the machine work, but I was not expecting the detailed level of finishing touches. All of the chokes were laser etched with constriction and my gun serial number. Chokes came in a Wilkinson custom choke case. Very impressive. I think I might be able to break 26's with these beauties. Thanks Tom.
Craig

·
Registered
64 Posts
Years ago...before all of my various joint replacements, I actually shot pretty well and shot Tom's chokes exclusively...even won the Grand American Doubles in 1988 shooting Tom's chokes. Tom is truly the standard by which others are judged ! And a real Gentleman as well !!,,,,,None Finer!!

Tom Galligher

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Wilkinson Choke = SMOKE. I have fixed chokes in my MX10 all three barrels have Tom's work, no idea what he does, but it sure works well for me, easy to smoke second bird in doubles. Scott

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Tom's chokes are in my single barrel and his fixed chokes in my doubles gun. Awesome work, proven on paper and targets in the air.

Bob Schultz

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The chokes add no extra weight. They fit so incredibly precise it's amazing there's no wobble as you slide them in to engage the threads.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Gary, while I am generally satisfied with factory chokes, when I got a bad one, as I did a couple of years ago and it appeared unfixable to me, Tom came through and turned it into a shooter. It also gave me a chance to compare choke restrictions from too little to too much (Tom's advice) and found, for example, that three choke tubes performed the same (with all three brands of shells, by the way).

I want to add that the tests were done in the late fall in Minnesota with air densities close to 100%. During the shooting season in the Midwest, the averages produced by these chokes with quality cartridges are closer to 80% and that's very high.

In short, my experiences with Tom and his work are have been entirely positive.

Neil

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
The precise fitting of the chokes is awesome. There is no wiggle room....none.
After you unscrew one of his choke tubes and pull it out, you hear a "thump" from the vacuum. They are fitted that well. Machining is as perfect as it gets.

Wish I would have taken pictures of the pattern before and after.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Toms chokes are very precise. Absolutely no side to side movement they fit very snug I've never had a problem with them coming loose while shooting like my factory chokes & the other off the shelve chokes I have bought over the years. When Tom puts out his congratulations list in trap and field of the all Americans that shoot barrels he has tuned that should tell you something. No I'm not on that list I do like the results of the work he did for me. If it's not for you and you don't think it makes a difference good for you & good luck

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
I've had Tom do work for me for a long time. Sharp, knowledgeable, friendly, and honest.

Every shotgun that he worked on was done perfectly. I am always amazed with the super workmanship of every thing he has done for me. He has added ribs, changed the point of impact (one up one down), regulated the barrel's on my K-80 Trap Special, added weight to my current doubles gun, and he has also blueprinted the barrel on my current Perazzi TMX.

He has my complete trust and respect.

Tom Strunk

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
I echo all of the above accolades regarding Tom's work. I just had him back bore and install his choke tubes in my Perazzi MX2000RS, and his work is outstanding. I haven't yet had a chance to shoot it, but I certainly looking forward to patterning it. Thanks again Tom for an outstanding job

Tafford

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
Pardon me for going off topic a little. It's related.

I'm very confident to say Neil is probably the most thorough guy I've ever known; regarding shotgun patterning, and other related subjects.

His chart above is certainly interesting to me. There're almost no meaningful differences between 0.045, 0.040 & 0.035 constrictions. Maybe that proved what I always suspected; most trap shooters are over choked.

Also, seems the least constricting 0.035" choke produced more consistence results.

·
Banned
308 Posts
Do all $15,000.00 guns need to go to Wilkinson?

All the research done at Perazzi, Beretta, Alferman, and Krieghoff isn't enough.

How expensive were the guns shot by Brad Dysinger and Leo? Was it Tom's chokes that made Leo smash targets with that 1100. I doubt if Harlan had Wilkinson chokes in the Mach 1.

How did Terry Zapplata shoot all those targets with an 870?

I doubt Pat McCarthy put Wilkinson chokes in his Guerini.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

jmho

1 - 20 of 58 Posts