Trapshooters Forum banner

Wilkinson choke tubes in Sietz

2934 Views 26 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  brakeman
Have you had Wilkinson choke tubes put in a Sietz and how did they perform in comparison to a Sietz fixed choke and choke tubes like factory Kreighoff and Kolar..Also how straight did they pattern, especially Left and Right.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
If you do get Wilkinson chokes put on a seitz make sure you maintain them ie. loosening them after shooting and greasing the threads... had a hell of a time trying to get a choke out of a seitz where a gentleman didn’t maintain it.. two guys using all their might to twist it free.. eventually had to be heated up to get taken out.. Tom does fantastic work though and you will certainly not be disappointed... Tom can tune it to how you like to shoot.

· Registered
Silver Seitz, Kolar TS, Kolar LP
1,445 Posts
I have Wilkinson CT in my Seitz. I have the 35th in there now and it just smokes the targets. I bought my Seitz with the tubes already installed. I usually prefer factory CT or fixed Chokes but after shooting several guns with Wilkinson tubes I would not hesitate to have him do any type of work on my barrel. He is the best IMO

JSkolar1

· Registered
29 Posts
If you do get Wilkinson chokes put on a seitz make sure you maintain them ie. loosening them after shooting and greasing the threads... had a hell of a time trying to get a choke out of a seitz where a gentleman didn’t maintain it.. two guys using all their might to twist it free.. eventually had to be heated up to get taken out.. Tom does fantastic work though and you will certainly not be disappointed... Tom can tune it to how you like to shoot.
I have a seitz with Wilkinson tubes and I was advised by Rich to NOT grease the tubes. I do take them out to clean them up but unless I totally misunderstood him, he said do not use any grease on them.

· Premium Member
6,031 Posts
My Seitz came with two Wilkinson tubes. .025 and .035. They do shoot straight. If you are a nerd and like actual data, Timb99 did the pattern analysis shown below.
Font Parallel Number Rectangle Paper

Reactions: George MT.

· Registered
124 Posts
I have both a fixed and CT wilkinson seitz barrel. Both smoke targets, but I prefer the fixed. If you go CT make sure to avoid grease as stated above. Cleaning regularly is a must with his flush tubes

· Registered
1,112 Posts
Have you ever tried using rem-oil? A small amount seems to work best.
Yes, I have, and it felt like it dried from the heat, requiring more torque then I cared to apply. The grease has a temperature rating and I can shoot doubles all week long and its still good.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
I would just have Wilkinson tune the fixed choke at around .033+-. No worries about tubes loosening, and will pattern the best from any distance you will shoot. If a choke tube throws a great pattern at 16 yds, it will be just as good at the 27.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm guessing with the grease issue its probably getting so hot it sorta cakes tight into the threads making chokes difficult to remove. Curious as to if anyone has tried high temperature wheel bearing grease etc? Or do as he said just don't use any..What does Tom recommend?
I would just have Wilkinson tune the fixed choke at around .033+-. No worries about tubes loosening, and will pattern the best from any distance you will shoot. If a choke tube throws a great pattern at 16 yds, it will be just as good at the 27.
This barrel is a fixed .024..I was assuming it was a .035 from what i had been told..I shoot more games than anything up to 45 yards behind house where you need a pretty tight pattern.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
I'm guessing with the grease issue its probably getting so hot it sorta cakes tight into the threads making chokes difficult to remove. Curious as to if anyone has tried high temperature wheel bearing grease etc? Or do as he said just don't use any..What does Tom recommend?

This barrel is a fixed .024..I was assuming it was a .035 from what i had been told..I shoot more games than anything up to 45 yards behind house where you need a pretty tight pattern.
Wilkenson would be the guy to get it to where you want it. He would tune the barrel to the choke at a tighter constriction, and make sure the pattern is the best it can be. If he does not think it is possible, he will tell you so.

Reactions: gbs52

· Registered
288 Posts
I had Wilkinson install chokes and tune a barrel on my Seitz a couple years ago and he definitely does first class work. I now shoot another Seitz with a fixed choke barrel and feel that is the best after having both and watching a bore gauge.

· Registered
123 Posts
Well I don't know what Rich and Tom recommend but I know that choke was not coming out of that gun even if you had the worlds strongest man twisting that choke wrench while the other held the gun in place.. I can understand loosening the choke or taking it out and cleaning it after you're done shooting for the day but trying to get that choke out of that seitz was damn near impossible and granted we were two big guys and it did not budge at all. I grease the threads on my k80 chokes and loosen them after shooting so I never run into any issues... Also I will say I personally was disappointed at the kind of choke wrench that was being used to remove or tighten it, the design could be better while being a lesser pia. Any who Tom does fantastic work, seitz are great guns.. Break them all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.