Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working with high school students to night. I came across a problem I ran into some heavy resistance on. I am thinking correctly or not.
Right handed shooter, bottom single gun. with an adjustable comb.
The comb is offset maximum to the LEFT. Pushing the head and eyes to the left, away from the stock. (This is a right handed shooter). (It looks like the gun is setup for a left handed shooter.) They shot paper using a patterning type set up, and shot target high, but right. A second person tried the gun and shot in the same location.
My comment was a right handed shooter will TYPICALLY have the comb offset to the right, allowing the face to get closer to the stock and centered behind the rib.
When I shouldered the gun, my chubby cheeks and eyes were looking down the left side of the barrel. I had to really lean over the stock to look down the rib. I stated there is almost no way a right handed shooter could look down the rib with that setup. The student has to be looking across the rib, and I am not sure how the beads could line up.
The student is slightly built, 5'-9" 160 pounds maximum. I was about the same size once and by chance it was in high school. The student is does not wear a size 8 hat and is eyes are not right next to his ears.

Am I thinking correctly, is there something I am missing?

Your thoughts are welcome.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The athlete has been shooting for five years. The gun is new this year. I do not believe it has a left hand cast. He mounts and shoots from the shoulder pocket in a normal fashion. Previously I think he was shooting a CX and doing well. The guns appears to fit him. I did not do the fitting, but it was not too long for me and I am maybe an 1" taller than he is.

· Registered
612 Posts
When I shouldered the gun, my chubby cheeks and eyes were looking down the left side of the barrel. I had to really lean over the stock to look down the rib. I stated there is almost no way a right handed shooter could look down the rib with that setup. The student has to be looking across the rib, and I am not sure how the beads could line up.
Is the student's right eye centered on the rib or not?

They shot paper using a patterning type set up, and shot target high, but right.
Point of Impact is off to the right???

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the student's right eye centered on the rib or not?
That is the entire question. The student says yes. I am saying there is no way a right handed shooter can see down the barrel with a 1/4' offset left comb unless they find a way to tilt their head dramatically and lean clear across the the stock.
I am personally thinking, there is an eye dominance issue or some sort of vision problem.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
That is the entire question. The student says yes. I am saying there is no way a right handed shooter can see down the barrel with a 1/4' offset left comb unless they find a way to tilt their head dramatically and lean clear across the the stock.
I am personally thinking, there is an eye dominance issue or some sort of vision problem.
Empty chamber test? Have you sighted his right pupil from the business end of the barrel when he's mounted? He may have a unusual head position that could be from a bad habit? Very curious indeed.

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
Triple check that the gun is unloaded and then look down the barrel from the muzzle at the shooter's eye when he has the gun mounted. You will tell pretty quickly if his eye is lined up.

· Registered
1,051 Posts
I agree that you need to look down the barrel and see if his right eye is directly over the rib. Did they by any chance pattern it after the comb was moved to the left? I don’t think it would be an eye dominance issue if he shot a pattern board with it and the pattern was to the right.

· Registered
136 Posts
I have a right handed shooter that shoots an A400 with comb all the way to the left. Her right eye lines up perfectly and she shoots a figure 8 without any problem. Go figure! Different strokes for different folks.

· Registered
5,326 Posts
How was it checked for POI? By that I mean was it done in a controlled way as Neil W advocated? How many shots, at what distance, what was used as a rest, etc etc.

I'd be checking for POI again using the Winston method. I'd then be checking on a few dozen straightaways from #3.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I suggested the "Winston Method" before any testing was done. A single shot by the father and a single shot by the student convinced them that the gun shooting wide right. Both shots were taken at 30 yards with a full choke from the shoulder. I asked for them to shoot at least four shots and preferably from sand bags. I have not heard how to night went. I am not a coach for this team. I used to be. I switch to another school after my son was done shooting. No drama or back stories to wonder about.
I went out last night to do my own POI test on little 20 gauge I inherited from my dad. I had a new pad and a mid bead put on. I was having trouble figuring where I was really at when the gun was unaltered, so I did my POI test after all the changes where done. While I was out at the club I was asked to assist.

BTW Here is my project gun.

Motor vehicle Green Musical instrument Bumper Automotive exterior
Musical instrument Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood

· Just getting by.....
2,029 Posts
I shoot one eyed right handed.
I shoot a Citori Crossover Target with and adjustable comb and recoil pad.
My comb is as far left as it will go. It is set up the same as my old KX5 that was fitted by Todd Nelson, the Country Gentleman.
Nora Martin Ross has looked down my barrel and confirmed that my gun fit is good to go.

· Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 34” unsingle 0.031/34” Wilkinson o/u with a prosoft
1,687 Posts
I had a student doing the same thing. They didn’t understand what a proper sight picture looked like and were “stacking” the beads next to one another instead of in top. Sighted down the barrel, diagnosed and fixed almost immediately.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Has to be a bad form mount or an extremely bent barrel.

Raise that comb to the top of the posts and move it to neutral. Then do a head check for eye position. Adjust from there. Level eyes. Straight up and down neck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.