Trapshooters Forum banner

Why?

2988 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  CalvinMD
Why are top of the line shotguns much more expensive than really top of the line rimfire target rifles? I can't see that shotguns should be priced triple what a precision 22 rimfire target rifle costs. Is it that the costs for everything about trap is expected to be expensive. When you step away from shooting trap you will be amazed at how much all the trap fun actually costs. Biff
Why are top of the line shotguns much more expensive than really top of the line rimfire target rifles? I can't see that shotguns should be priced triple what a precision 22 rimfire target rifle costs. Is it that the costs for everything about trap is expected to be expensive. When you step away from shooting trap you will be amazed at how much all the trap fun actually costs. Biff
See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
25,339 Posts
It's very simple. There is demand for very expensive shotguns, and someone will supply that demand.

If you're asking if the shotgun is, from an engineering, machining, handcrafting and functionality standpoint worth more than a top of the line Olympic grade precision shooting rimfire, I do not believe it is. Not hardly. But some people do, and they have the money to spend on it.

In the meantime, I'm perfectly happy with my 1100 and 1187 trap guns.

· Registered
3,719 Posts
Heck, I thought top of the line trap guns were cheap! I mean look at what a Purdy, Holland and Holland and many of the other English, Spanish and Italian houses obtain for just a hunten gun. Dang man, trap guns is cheap!

· Registered
6,754 Posts
It's all about the amount of time a human puts into making the item and how skilled the craftsmen/artists are. Truth is a shotgun is just a piece of pipe. Everything added or refined from that point costs money.

If I were to build a shotgun for sale (no I don't have those skills) and it took me six weeks to complete it I would need to sell that gun for at least $20K.

I think your question might be rephrased as 'why do some guys pay that kind of money for one gun'? Answer, because they can and they appreciate the good stuff.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can price anything as you want, I have never owned a Purdy or a Holland but have always thought they were WAY over priced. People who have money don't mind paying big money for what they think is desirable or the hot ticket. The saying "you get what you pay for" may apply for some things but also is a sure way to separate fools from their money. On trap guns as with target rifles, no matter how much you spend, you can't buy targets with either. Not many trap shooters change their barrels with an aftermarket product like a Lilja, Shillen, or Clark even though some do send them to Wilkinson even before they shoot them. Biff

· Registered
1,135 Posts
For my part, I enjoyed shooting the higher crafted guns, they felt and moved better and performed consistently. They also were a better return for your money and if you bought right, cared for it and didn't personalize(triggers, porting etc) you had a good chance to get your initial investment back if the gun still great, because during the time you were shooting it prices continue to go up and your initial investment is the current cost of a used gun.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
I have trouble with anything more than $2500 for ANY but the most lavishly engraved and inlaid custom made to order guns...the best materials made into great quality guns on top flite machinery even with lots of hand fitting is only worth so much...I'm betting the big 4 Kreighoff, Kolar, Perazzi and Seitz are probably 75% profit or more...you know what they say concerning fools and their money ; )...not that I'm calling names...cuz I'm not!!, You only live once so whatever blows your whistle!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.