Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
5,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a companion topic to the other active thread, there are numerous reasons to consider membership in the ATA.

IMO, just the fact the that one regularly shoots the American Trap discipline is enough to recommend joining... just as one would join the USGA, who plays golf...

There are plenty of folks who golf, that are not USGA members. Membership gets one involved in the sport at a higher level...

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
The ATA provides registration of targets that have been presented in a format within stated parameters so that shooters can compete on a level field either in class or by yardage. If one doesn't want to participate in that registration process and the competitions that are structured to follow it, then there is no need to join.

There are thousands of club and league shooters just as accomplished in the sport as typical ATA participants. This is particularly true as the number of clubs throwing ATA targets has diminished resulting in a lack of reasonable opportunity to compete in ATA events.

By example, there are 400+ weekly league participants at Kingsburg, home of the CA State shoot but their ATA shoots are around 10 squads.

Our monthly Tri County Trap Club easily outdraws the Redlands ATA shoots even though we follow ATA rules and formats. Our scores within our classes and yardages are what you would expect to see at an ATA shoot and while many of our members shoot ATA, most don't. That's not because ATA is more competitive, it is because the rewards at Tri County are much greater.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I am a Life Member of the ATA, since the early 80s. Over the years, I have watched anemic efforts on part of the ATA to provide benefits to shooters for belonging to the organization. It costs a lot of money to be a member. Average gun insurance, life insurance, etc. are examples of what ATA offers. How about bulk buying of shells, real value travel deals, access to quality shooting instruction, and so on being available to members? And, most importantly, an actual direct and democratic way to have a meaningful say in how the organization is run? There are many things that ATA could do for members as benefits of belonging. Not many are in evidence.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There are thousands of club and league shooters just as accomplished in the sport as typical ATA participants.
I agree. I see many league shooters that are as very good trap shooters. I watched one of my Wednesday night league shooters shoot six straight 25's to make up rounds one night this summer. He doesn't shoot ATA.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Even the league shooters shoot with a set of rules and scores are recorded.

Also the ones I have been around the fee at the beginning of the league is more than a yearly ATA fee.

No, you are wrong. Every gun owner period should be an NRA member. Sadly we have many here who are not.
Also look at the non participation in the NRA on national level. Kind of reminds me of democrats, let someone else pay and do the work while reaping in the benefits.

Reactions: spitter

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Have we high jacked this thread to an NRA topic? Important topic, but not the intended topic of the original message. The ATA needs thorough discussion and it's issues brought into the sunlight, on a continuing basis. I love the ATA and what is does well. But, it could certainly be improved. Open discussion is the best tool we have to improve the quality and service of the organization.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
There are tens of thousands of league trap shooters. The ATA needs to find a way to make it beneficial for them to pay the dues and become members. Most league shooters don't know what the ATA is or what registered shooting is all about. Unless you can show them a substantive benefit to membership they aren't going to bother with it. Being an AARP or AAA member gives specific savings and tangible benefits to members. Many gun clubs make NRA membership and concealed carry or permit to purchase a prerequisite to joining. I go to a gun show that gives you free admission if you join or renew an NRA membership at the door. Maybe an ATA membership can be worked into the equation some how. Never seen an ATA booth at a gun show or anyone passing out ATA literature on a league night with 200 trap shooters there. Still, "What's in it for me?" rears it's ugly head. Altruism is not alive and well in our society.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
I am a Life Member of the ATA, since the early 80s. Over the years, I have watched anemic efforts on part of the ATA to provide benefits to shooters for belonging to the organization. It costs a lot of money to be a member. Average gun insurance, life insurance, etc. are examples of what ATA offers. How about bulk buying of shells, real value travel deals, access to quality shooting instruction, and so on being available to members? And, most importantly, an actual direct and democratic way to have a meaningful say in how the organization is run? There are many things that ATA could do for members as benefits of belonging. Not many are in evidence.
It costs the same money to shoot regardless of being an ATA member or not, don't you think.

What do you want out of the ATA?

Have you made your feeling known other than on a website?

Voting for your delegate isn't counted as having a say in the ATA? If your delegate isn't up to your standards run for office. It is an option to each member but I think you need to up your membership to a life membership is all.

3 people say something to each other about the NRA and you get your panties bunched up?

Reactions: KS-OKIE

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Most league shooters don't know what the ATA is or what registered shooting is all about.
Not really. I think most experienced league shooters have tried ATA and many will if given the opportunity. What they find is that there just aren't the rewards shooting ATA at the local level to keep them engaged long term.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Not really. I think most experienced league shooters have tried ATA and many will if given the opportunity. What they find is that there just aren't the rewards shooting ATA at the local level to keep them engaged long term.
It isn't so much a matter how many that have, as it is a matter of how many that don't. I can guarantee very few and I mean very few of the dozens of league shooters I know personally have ever shot registered trap. I can agree that some of the real long time league shooters shot registered a long time ago. Some have shot registered sporting clays. I would be willing to bet not 5 to 10 in a hundred that shoot at the club I shoot league at have ever shot registered and there are several hundred shooters. Now this may be different in different areas of the country. Our club hasn't held any registered shoots for several years. Owner says it is too much work for too little gain.

I was president of our company trap league for two years and we had over a 110 trap shooters in it at that time. Maybe five or six had ever shot any registered trap and I was only one of two during that time that currently shot ATA. I know several who shoot league trap that shoot registered sporting clays now and then. One of the guys I have known for over 30 years has been shooting league trap and other clay target sports the whole time I have known him. Avid shot gunner. He shoots a nice K80. Him, his brother, daughter, son, and son in law all shoot league trap, five stand league, and registered sporting clays but have never fired a shot at a registered trap target. His daughter won a Beretta automatic at the state sporting clays shoot this year.

I agree about the rewards part. Trophies, money, prizes, shells, and a nice banquet are all league lures. This year on opening day of deer season I shot a nice 10 pointer. I used a folding buck knife that I got for league high gun years ago as the prize to gut it. Carry it every year. Now that is a useful prize. Won a case of AA's at a banquet this week. The ATA at local levels can't really compete against what you can win shooting league of multiple leagues at the local level. Shooters contribute money at the beginning of the league season that goes for trophies, awards, prizes, drawings, etc. at the completion of the league. You can shoot as many leagues as you have time and money for.

When I competed actively in ATA I shot to beat myself. I shot against my best score to date, increase my average, and climb higher in classifications, and be with friends. Did it for me. If I won something fine. The only thing I expected from the ATA was a safe, coordinated, regulated shooting event where I could shoot my targets and my scores kept. I joined the ATA again this year. I expect the same as before.

The cost difference is very little between practice and ATA for the most part locally. Benefits of shooting ATA over practice is I can shoot 100 singles with the same four people that usually know good shooting etiquette. Yes it is nice to not shoot with people who don't have miss fires, don't know how to load the shotgun, move around after each shot, talk between themselves in between shots, forget it is their turn, curse a blue streak if missing four in a row, load from a box of shells sitting on the ground, etc. Shooting under those conditions can be good practice in concentration but don't like to make a habit of it. I am not saying I dislike those shooters or in any way denigrate them. Merely a case of preferred shooting conditions. The downside is the unless it is a week night registered marathon the targets are only thrown on a weekend. We are lucky here that we have at least six clubs that throw registered within 40 miles. Lots here on the forum aren't so fortunate.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
It costs the same money to shoot regardless of being an ATA member or not, don't you think.

What do you want out of the ATA?

Have you made your feeling known other than on a website?

Voting for your delegate isn't counted as having a say in the ATA? If your delegate isn't up to your standards run for office. It is an option to each member but I think you need to up your membership to a life membership is all.

3 people say something to each other about the NRA and you get your panties bunched up?
You see, in my view , this illustrates the problem. Whether on a discussion board or at a State meeting, or just at a gun club, actual discussion gives way to ranting very quickly, and no ideas are put forth. Just my thoughts and wish for discussion that leads to positive change.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts