Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to trap shooting and have seen a wide variety of opinions on purchasing a gun. I personally am a frugal individual who buys more on value than I do on brand name.

After months of research I ended up purchasing a Tristar TT-15 Sporting O/U because for the price point there really isn't anything like it (whether that is good or bad is to be determined, please keep your opinions on my gun selection to yourself)

When I was looking to purchase my research included trying other's guns to see what I like: I shot a Citori, an A400 Xcel, a BT-99, a TT-15 Sporting, a Silver Reserve II sporting, and a Fabarm Elos - funny thing is, the guy with the TT-15 also had the Fabarm (he teaches Trap at the local high school and if a student doesn't have a gun or their gun has a problem they use the TT-15.

I asked him why he had gone with a Tristar for the gun he uses with his athletes given the reputation, he said "Tristar has come a long way, and most wouldn't feel the difference Fabarm vs the Tristar to appreciate the difference any way.

So my question is: other than reliability (which will always be case by case), what are the reasons to move up in price brackets to more expensive guns?

Other than perceived value given by a certain brand, what are the perks that come with owning a $3,000+ dollar gun compared to a <$1,000 gun?

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Why spend a lot of money on a car? A VW will get you there but it's a matter of choice how you decide to get there. The old saying you get what you pay for holds very true in trap guns . If you are just going to travel occasionally the VW will work, same with a cheap trap gun. If you are going just shoot occasionally a cheap trap gun will work . Your choice.
Good Luck

·
Registered
192 Posts
Vanity!

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,735 Posts
Confidence.
Security.
Trade value.
Pride of ownership.
Variable elimination.
Manufacturer dedication.
Manufacturer support.
Skilled craftsman.
Hand-fit, hand-selected materials.

It all comes with a price. Can you break clay with less? Absolutely.

There's a lot of thought that needs to go into a purchase of a high-end firearm. It's not just an expensive gun and once you cross that threshold, I'd say $5K and up, there isn't any going back and it's not because you can't, but because you won't.

And also the round count needs to be factored into the investment. I'm at anywhere between 800-1000 rounds/mo. Some double that. When ATA kicks back in around my area, I will too. I have just shy of 3,000 rounds through my KX6 Special since Sept. and it shows NO wear. I'm confident I can say the same thing when I reach 30,000 rounds and if I still have it, 300,000 isn't far fetched at all.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I seem to remember reading about an All American trapshooter who shot Remington 1100's and I think still does. He always took 2 guns to a shoot and had them rebuilt after every season as they needed to have parts replaced.
You get what you pay for. I have been asked many times over the last 30 years why I choose to shoot a high end trap gun when you can break clays with your hunting gun. I do not shoot as many clay targets as I once did, but how many hunting or low end guns can take several thousand shells a year going through them year after year without falling apart. One of my Perazzi's had over 125,000 shells through it when I purchased it in 1991 and has many thousands through it since. It has had some work done on it in the last 28 years, but its still tight and works well in the hands of my son in law. The other upside is that its worth at least what I paid for it and perhaps more.
Devonian.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Why did you buy a sporting model for trap? The trap models have adjustable combs/ribs/buttplates which make it easier to fit the gun to you.

Also - "Tristar has come a long way, and most wouldn't feel the difference Fabarm vs the Tristar to appreciate the difference any way."

Probably true for a HS kid just starting out, but when you shoot on a regular basis and want to improve I suspect you will feel the difference.

·
What squad am I on?
7,735 Posts
You bought a Turkish POS. If you don't like my opinion, don't post on the internet.

How much slack were you cut when you were new? He will either growth thick skin or not make the cut.
I was hung with a tight rope. Would have preferred a little slack so it could've "snapped" and and finished me quickly.

·
What squad am I on?
7,735 Posts
Because they can afford to shoot an expensive gun.
Sort of...it's not any more expensive to shoot a high dollar gun than a cheap one. And honestly, in the big picture, the gun's the cheap part. Also, when I bought my first premium gun, Alfermann #263, I knew I should use that money elsewhere but was willing to make a few sacrifices in order to advance my trapshooting career. Needs, wants, desires...they're all open to interpretation when you want something bad enough you'll find ways to make it happen.

·
Registered
967 Posts
One review I found stated that it did not have a mid-bead. If yours does not, have one added, so that you know that your head is in the right place every time.

I have friend, who loves trap shooting and could only afford an inexpressive gun that did not have a mid-bead. He was extremely frustrated shooting scores around 10-12. Took him to the pattern board and all of his shots were way left. Had him mount the gun and looked at his eye alignment , which was off to the side (yes, I verified that the gun was unloaded before putting my face in front of the barrel). Told him to jam his head harder into the comb and his went out and shot a 17. May not sound like a great score, but for a 70 year old who took up trap a year ago, he was ecstatic. Now he just need to get the mid bead added so that he know he has it right every time.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts