Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i research and read on the forum, i noticed. Quite a few shooters mention they wished one trap gun or another were made without ported barrels.

curious as to why. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
There're people insist to port their barrels, there're people won't buy a shotgun if it's ported.
They all have their reasons. Can't argue with them as 7.5 vs 8 shots.

I have nothing against porting, I shoot both ported and non-ported barrels.
Years ago I sold a $20,000 SCO gun to a gentleman in CA, first thing he did was sent it to Briley and have them ported.

However, seems most shotguns we see in the Olympics are ported. And most Browning competition shotguns are factory ported.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
maybe your ports wouldn't be louder or noisier if you stopped cleaning them? I know I never have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Loud & worthless. I never understood why anyone would port a single barrel. I would never buy a ported gun again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Doesn't do much for my trap gun and light loads. Sure love it on my field gun firing heavy pheasant loads. Noticeable reduction in muzzle rise the heavier the load gets

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don’t like looking down the side of the barrels and seeing all that cheese hanging out of the ports. It’s also louder shooting next to a ported barrel and I don’t want to be that guy.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I had a Browning Citori 12 ga 30" field gun and had it ported and the forcing cone lengthened. It was much easier to get on the second shot in doubles with it ported and the forcing cone lengthened.

In 2003 I bought a Browning Ultra XS Sporting Clays gun that was ported and I did have to clean in and around the ports for the first year or so. For the last 16 years or so I have not cleaned the ports or around the ports. I am pretty sure the first 5,000 shells or so smoothed out the ports and there has been nothing there to clean.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can see it helping in doubles and euro competitions where the loads are in the 1350 fps range, but why on single barreled guns bt99 plus etc?

1 - 20 of 155 Posts