Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does the ATA rule book say the following?

"18. While not prohibited, the practice of resting the muzzle of a shotgun on a shooter’s toe is ill-advised and is discouraged.."

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Trying to save stupid people from shooting themselves in the foot. There is absolutely nothing dangerous about resting an unloaded, or at least open-chambered gun, on the toe.

I wish the rulebook said "the practice of closing the chamber is prohibited until the shooter's turn commences, which is after the shooter immediately prior in the rotation has fired."

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Because people have blown their toes off...really, with autoloaders. I know someone who, as a result of confusion arising from interuption during shooting, rested a loaded gun on his foot and is now down a few toes.

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts

"18. While not prohibited, the practice of resting the muzzle of a shotgun on a shooter’s toe is ill-advised and is discouraged.."

Because if you do it with a break open gun that is open it's not a problem.

But if you do it with a pump or semi auto with a round in the chamber and then proceed to fingerbang the trigger you will blow your toe off.

It's the same reason that release triggers aren't prohibited - as long as you follow good safety practices, there won't be a problem.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Trying to save stupid people from shooting themselves in the foot. There is absolutely nothing dangerous about resting an unloaded, or at least open-chambered gun, on the toe.

I wish the rulebook said "the practice of closing the chamber is prohibited until the shooter's turn commences, which is after the shooter immediately prior in the rotation has fired."

Resting a break opened action shotgun's muzzle on a toe pad is far less dangerous than close a loaded gun few stations before your term to shoot.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Answer is simple. What we used to call a rule book has evolved into a book of suggestions.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Not a good idea to do it with a shell resting in the gun to say the least. But there are people like my self you never put a shell in the receiver gate until it is our turn to shoot. Anybody who puts a shell inside a pump or auto (even with the action open) and then rest the gun on their toes is asking for trouble .BTW one "toe" incident was when a shooter was resting a break open gun (shell installed) on his toe. He brought the rear of the gun up and closed the action while it was still ON his toe. He is now missing a toe. You can't stop stupid!

·
Registered
101 Posts
this side of pond we all use toe rests
no one using semi autos
it slows down round big time
any time we had a squad of paddys at grand we caused a traffic jam

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's obviously an individual choice - but the first time I saw it I was puzzled. From my earliest days in the Boy Scouts shooting in the NRA programs I can still see and hear the instructor as he's handing each of us a rifle: "The golden rule when handling firearms is never point the muzzle of a gun at something you do not intend to shoot".

I don't think it's a practice I'll be picking up out of pure habit I guess.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

had a kid resting his 1100 on his toe between shots at our state shoot a few years ago. you know what happened. nice round hole between his first two toes.

jack mc

·
Registered
619 Posts
I rest my break action guns on my toe with a shell in the chamber but, I'm not an idiot. I don't close it with the barrel still on my toe and I keep my booger picker off the trigger.

Autos and pumps are lighter guns and therefore I normally hold them pointed slightly down range. Two shooters before me I place a shell in the gun, directly after the shooter before me fires I close the action with the gun pointed down range and then mount the gun. All timed accordingly so I'm not disturbing the other shooters with my movements or sending off a bird with the noise of the action. Again I keep my booger picker off the trigger until the gun is mounted and I'm ready to fire.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Resting your gun on a toe pad is no different then sweeping someone with the barrel of your gun. So resting your gun on your toe/feet is OK but sweeping someone with your barrel is forbidden. Makes no sense.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Oh I understand fully. I think the practice of resting your gun on a toe pad is down right crazy and unless the rule is changed people will continue to experience injuries like the ones shown in the photos.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Resting your gun on a toe pad is no different then sweeping someone with the barrel of your gun. So resting your gun on your toe/feet is OK but sweeping someone with your barrel is forbidden. Makes no sense.
How in the world is resting my bt99 on my toe "no different" than pointing my gun at other shooters?
I take it up and chamber a shell only when its my turn.
You make no sense what so ever.
Bill

·
Registered
102 Posts
I sometimes rest my BT or Citori XT breach open on my toe but prefer a foam pad with magnet. Occasionally I shoot skeet with a semi auto, when I do that I often rest the shoulder pad on my foot displaying the open bolt. I only do that when awaiting my turn before even stepping on the station and removing any shells from my pocket. Don't feel like it's an unsafe practice.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
How in the world is resting my bt99 on my toe "no different" than pointing my gun at other shooters?
I take it up and chamber a shell only when its my turn.
You make no sense what so ever.
Bill

Could simply be how I was taught to handle a gun. I was taught that you do not sweep anyone to include yourself with the barrel of your firearm. In USPSA if you sweep someone with the barrel of your gun or you sweep your own body you can expect to be DQ'ed and you will be lucky to be allowed to return.

Maybe this will help you remember.

1. Treat every firearm as if it's loaded.
Even if you're absolutely certain a gun is unloaded, still follow these rules for safe gun handling. You want these rules to be natural habits; holding yourself to them each and every time helps make them so.

·
Administrator
8,652 Posts
This thread brings up some interesting points and to the OP I feel that the reason you see the statement as Not Prohibited but Ill advised is that if the act of resting your unloaded break gun muzzle on your toe is a official safety violation then there would have to be some sort of warning/penalty system in place and it would have to be enforced and with a culture of so many shooters doing it for decades it would create a lot of issues to say the least.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I will rest an open break action gun (i.e. an O/U or SxS) on my toe rest....to think that this is sweeping people (including yourself) with a barrel is ludicrous. I will also carry an open break action gun in a suitcase carry and think objections to that are ludicrous also. I will not do either of these with an auto...too hard to determine if chamber is open.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts