Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why can"t you use slugs to see how high you gun shoots? It would be easy to see to determine how high the gun shoots at 13 yards , 20 yards and at 35 yards.

Put an modified or light mod choke in. I do not thing it would damage the barrel.

What are the pros and cons of using slugs?

thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Joe, I've harvested a lot of deer with my Beretta 303 trap with a 30 mobil choke barrel. It shoots 6 inches high at 50 yards. I now use a Hastings fully rifled cantilevered barrel on my 303 for deer hunting these days.

If attempting to see where a slug patterns only, use the Foster type of slugs. They are hollow on the back and may even be shot out of full choked guns. No copper solids or any of the sabots type shells for the smoothie!

HAP

·
Registered
13,620 Posts
Where are you going to find a slug that goes 1150-1200fps?

I certainly wouldn't want to put a deer slug through a high end competition grade shotgun, and I'm sure most manufacturers will recommend against doing so as well.

You are also assuming that a slug will act in the same manner that a shot mass will.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will the slug location help with determining how high the barrel shoots and if the barrel shoots straight?

Joe

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
skeet man,

Slugs at that velocity are not all that hard to find. I have had some that ranged in the 1200 FPS all the way to 2000 FPS of course they are plastic saboted slugs. I'm with you though, ain't no way pumping slugs through any of my trap guns. They simply were not meant for that. I think some people put way too much thought into simple tasks.

The only thing a slug is gonna possibly show you, is if the gun shoots relatively straight. Even that's no given. Like sighting in a rifle, Use the loads you are gonna trap shoot with and see where they shoot.

·
Registered
97 Posts
A slug probably will not drop as much as shot does since it holds its energy better. The effective range of a slug is much more than 7-1/2, 8, or 9 pellets, which is why many (most?) trap clubs don't allow large diameter shot or slugs. This is likely due to higher skin friction on the smaller pellets, resulting in them slowing down faster than larger ones given the same muzzle velocity. Just a WAG.

·
Super Moderator
3,183 Posts
I'd like to catch the $%%hole that put 5 slugs into our 1/2" thick stainless steel pattern board at the club! Took my son and I about an hour with a torch, 2lb hammer and steel dolly to smooth it out. You would think after the first shot he would realize it wasn't a good idea. Harv

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
My fixed choked model 24 Winchester shot Foster slugs dead on as it did the shot patterns. My Beretta 303 shot Foster slugs the same inches high as it does the CENTER of my shot patterns.

Setterman, no two choke tubes shoot alike whether it be Foster slugs or shot patterns??

I had 8 one shot kills on deer with my old B trap gun! I've also won several trap shooting trophies with it also!

HAP

·
Registered
529 Posts
Has anyone ever tried a laser bore sighting tool and a machine rest? Seem like that would be a good way to sort out the geometric contributions quickly.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I have a Laser Shooter sighter and I think it fits into the choke snugly enough to do just that.

averaged_2008_030351.jpg

I don't even think anything more than a sandbagged rest would be necessary. I'll tell you, I was amazed at how it showed the result of even slight differences in gun mount and at very short distances - like 10 feet. It makes you realize why that "close enough" mount you elected to go with cost you that target! They are the tool that Wenig's uses when fitting a stock to you and my Wenig stock had the gun shooting exactly where I was looking.

Ed

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Shotshell,

You should be able to identify your culprit. Watch for someone with his head inserted into his rectum. He shot large shot or steel into our board too.

Charlie

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
1Dirt15, patterns with slugs may be termed (GROUPS) after getting the POI you want? I guess you might also call shot pellets a random group in addition?

HAP

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought the idea of checking the pattern was to see the pattern of shot inside a circle. Then determine what choke you need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts