Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do we not see more browning superposed shotguns at the range than we do? I have been looking at some shotguns in the for sale adds here on the net, and there are several nice looking 30" browning superposed shotguns for sale at more than fair prices. I know with a superposed it wont have screw in chokes, but if choked properly for whatever game you intend to play, who cares. I don't change chokes all that much anyway.
What are the differences between a ciori and a superposed? I was always under the impression that the superposed were better made shotguns? Are they? Just curious. Lee

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I just bought a Citori and haven't shot it yet, so I'm not competent to answer your comparison question. I have and still own a superposed that I shot as a teenager and again as an adult. I am not a fan. For me it is a somewhat punishing gun.

Regards,

Chip

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
They haven't been a Browning regular production item for several decades. That being said, they are a beautifully built gun with great wood in the higher grades and are priced very fairly IMHO compared to P and K guns. The lack of choke tubes can be remedied easily. They don't seem to get a lot of love here for them except from those of us own them, love them and shoot them. I plan on shooting ST-100 until I'm done. Can't imagine shooting doubles with anything else.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
13,624 Posts
No factory screw chokes, so if you want screw chokes, its gunna cost you 500 bucks. Doesn't have modern inner barrel profiles (forcing cones and ID), doesn't have modern rib options, doesn't have modern POI options, doesn't have modern barrel length options, doesn't have modern stock dimension options.

You could buy a superposed, drop $2k-$4k into it to get it up to modern standards, and you still have a $1k gun.

Simply put, there are 80 years of technological advances separating the superposed from modern competition grade shotguns.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
great gun tend to kick most people so they stay away. If you canshoot one they are well built guns. Frank Little shot one for many years. I sold mine and got a Citori like it much better

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Lol! Apparently you never had the pleasure of shooting an ST100,Ian!
Best trap gun I ever shot. None of my trap guns have choke tubes, nor will they. Not req'd for the game we play.
Ken Rucker

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Browning's Superposed was the K or P gun of the 40s, 50s and 60s. A bit mechanically complicated, like many JMB designs, but a proven high-end workhorse of its day built and hand-fitted in Belgium by old-school craftsmen. If you can find a non-salt one in good shape and it fits you well enough to not kick, have an open mind and you might fall in love.

-Gary

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
Agreed Ken....the ST-100 is the cat's A$$ for a doubles gun. Adjustable POI and choked IM & Full is PERFECT! With a good recoil pad...a pleasure to shoot. The pic is me shooting doubles at the Canadian Trapshooting Championships in Calgary in 2009.

Ron Burr

Ron Burr
ljutic73_2008_030380.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
I heard someone say once there is an a$$ for every seat so maybe that's why there are so many different guns made so you can get one you like. I have never fired a shotgun that does not kick so not sure what that has to do with anything. I have been shooting a Broadway Superposed for years and love it but to each his own. There are a lot of people who tell me they would like to buy one if they could find one. Anyway I am not an expert in anything and am sure guns just like cars are way more advanced than my old Broadway but there are sure a lot of people who like old cars and guns who don't mind the outdated technology.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have had 2 Lightnings (30 & 32). After forcing cone lengthening, both did not
kick me or my kids (who shoot them now). Great guns!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having your forcing cones lengthened a bit should cost to much. If I had a reamer I could do all that myself. I had no real reason to ask this question to begin with, other than I was curious as to everyone's thought's.
I would like to know if the superpose, is a better made shotgun than the citori though.say you had a brand new citori and a brand new superposed. Put 100,000 rounds through each one with the same ammo, what shotgun holds up the best? Lee

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I think the factory warranty only runs to the original purchaser. How many original superposed purchasers are there?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
The Super is a collector gun today, if it is pre '66 and in high condition. Nothing wrong with any other Super if you aren't shooting for a living. It's amazing to hear about how many posters seem to lose a paycheck if they lose a target. I think we are being misled. At the cost of local ATA birds, I would rather shoot the gun I like than the gun that will give me one more bird. I have a 1964 Superposed Trap I haven't even fired yet. Maybe next weekend.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts