Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Information purposes only

Why not divide the USA into 4 equal quadrants using shooter registrations.

You will add in the other areas such as Australia, Canada,Alaska, Hawaii,
and all foreign countries that have shot the Grand American to bring certain areas to have as equal shooters possible.

Those 4 All American Teams can shoot off for the Grand All American Team.

Use strictly individual Averages, with the requirement they must shoot their state Zone Shoot, & State Shoot. No traveling required, and accept the ability to travel to the Grand to participate, or it will pass onto someone else.

There are so many Great Shooters in so many Great States they should all get a chance to be to be on an All American Team

The weather conditions are different in all 4 areas.

The northeast Team, The North West Team, The South East Team, and The South West Team.

And also a 5th Team the Central Team to make up 5 All American Teams

It would take a list of all 50 states current registered shooters to get that even dispersion of shooters.

Possibly a 6th Team from Canada

This is just some ideas for every one to hash over and come up with their Ideas

Gary Bryant

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Gary, there already is a version of that, suggested by Past-President Wagner, and it's the "North-South Challenge." It held held at the Grandstand on an evening early in Grand week and draws a good crowd. People always complain that it's hard to find this or that shooting-hero to watch, and this solves the problem. (OK, it's often easy to find them in the shoot-offs too, but this is a _guarantee_.)

The present All-American team selection procedure uses wins rather than averages as the criterion. This eliminates earlier concerns that the AA system actually suppressed shooting rather than encouraged it since who's going to shoot in bad weather when an AA berth is a stake? It's enough of a problem for State Teams already in many places.

When I at least theoretically had some influence over the All-American system, I just let the committee run it; they have the experience and have earned the credentials - what chance would a novice have to improve things?

Neil

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Gary, there already is a version of that, suggested by Past-President Wagner, and it's the "North-South Challenge." It held held at the Grandstand on an evening early in Grand week and draws a good crowd. People always complain that it's hard to find this or that shooting-hero to watch, and this solves the problem. (OK, it's often easy to find them in the shoot-offs too, but this is a _guarantee_.)

The present All-American team selection procedure uses wins rather than averages as the criterion. This eliminates earlier concerns that the AA system actually suppressed shooting rather than encouraged it since who's going to shoot in bad weather when an AA berth is a stake? It's enough of a problem for State Teams already in many places.

When I at least theoretically had some influence over the All-American system, I just let the committee run it; they have the experience and have earned the credentials - what chance would a novice have to improve things?

Neil

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It's always good to see a well thought out plan presented by Dr. Longshot, rather than just rambling that you would attribute to someone who doesn't have control of all their faculties.

It started out as a proposal for four all American teams (per the thread title), then toward the bottom of his post he added a fifth team, and before finishing his post suggested a sixth team. And then to complete the post, suggested that everyone hash over this and come up with their own ideas.

LOL. He couldn't even finish his own post without changing his mind three times!

Scott

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
It's always good to see a well thought out plan presented by Dr. Longshot, rather than just rambling that you would attribute to someone who doesn't have control of all their faculties.

It started out as a proposal for four all American teams (per the thread title), then toward the bottom of his post he added a fifth team, and before finishing his post suggested a sixth team. And then to complete the post, suggested that everyone hash over this and come up with their own ideas.

LOL. He couldn't even finish his own post without changing his mind three times!

Scott

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Hey, what about South Africans and Brazilians???

·
Premium Member
11,722 Posts
Hey, what about South Africans and Brazilians???

·
Registered
764 Posts
So you want to make it easier to be an all american, won't all the prior all Americans be mad that all these new all Americans had it easier then when they made the AA team? 2 hole vs 3 hole........ you make no sense to me. You will now have to put an asterisk next to the names of the new AA like all of the Grand slams should, right?

·
Registered
764 Posts
So you want to make it easier to be an all american, won't all the prior all Americans be mad that all these new all Americans had it easier then when they made the AA team? 2 hole vs 3 hole........ you make no sense to me. You will now have to put an asterisk next to the names of the new AA like all of the Grand slams should, right?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Gary's new All Americans will then be "pussy" All Americans cause they didn't make the team when it was smaller and harder.

Being the true hypocrite he is, he wants harder targets like it was way back but wants to let everybody that shoots a 100 targets to make some sort of an AA team. Does anyone else not see a pattern of mental health issues developing?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Gary's new All Americans will then be "pussy" All Americans cause they didn't make the team when it was smaller and harder.

Being the true hypocrite he is, he wants harder targets like it was way back but wants to let everybody that shoots a 100 targets to make some sort of an AA team. Does anyone else not see a pattern of mental health issues developing?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I only have one thing to say on this subject.. until you have tried to do the cashiering at a major shoot and had to figure out the AA points and who is awarded them.. . you have no idea what a nightmare it can be !!

I would really like to see the system stay the same.. with the exception of the awarding of points. It really needs to be simplified!! The difficulty factor should be more standard. Simple suggestion might be.. Grand 5.. Satellite Grand 4.. Zone Shoot 3.. State Shoot 2.

The simple idea of making the multiplier different for different states makes no sense to me. I don't care if it's tougher to win at Ohio then it is Alabama.. a state win is a state win and should carry the same award no matter where it's shot. A lot of shooters are taken out of a chance to be on the team because they can't travel great distance.

Just my two cents worth..

IF anyone is unclear about how the points are awarded.. you should try reading the rules. If I remember correctly it's only 5 pages of fine print. Way more complex then it needs to be.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I only have one thing to say on this subject.. until you have tried to do the cashiering at a major shoot and had to figure out the AA points and who is awarded them.. . you have no idea what a nightmare it can be !!

I would really like to see the system stay the same.. with the exception of the awarding of points. It really needs to be simplified!! The difficulty factor should be more standard. Simple suggestion might be.. Grand 5.. Satellite Grand 4.. Zone Shoot 3.. State Shoot 2.

The simple idea of making the multiplier different for different states makes no sense to me. I don't care if it's tougher to win at Ohio then it is Alabama.. a state win is a state win and should carry the same award no matter where it's shot. A lot of shooters are taken out of a chance to be on the team because they can't travel great distance.

Just my two cents worth..

IF anyone is unclear about how the points are awarded.. you should try reading the rules. If I remember correctly it's only 5 pages of fine print. Way more complex then it needs to be.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
OK, Fla, another reason I left it to the AA Committee was that I was never able to make heads or tails of it and wasn't about to try. I'd already avoided even reading it for 25 years and all I had to do was stick to my guns for another year and I'd come out of it in one piece. Whenever a question came up I advised the asker to track down the mother of a Sub-Junior or Junior - she was sure to be able to give the right answer!

The specific suggestion you make was discussed ad infinitum and will never happen, in my opinion. There is much logical justification for it, just not enough support. And is it worth getting into a battle with PA, OH, and so on? I doubt it.

If you think it's a problem at shoots, imagine the job Kathy Key, Sandy Tidwell, and their helpers have!

For a long time Jimmy Robinson just named the teams. Later there was a variety of systems. Finally, then-President Jim Bradford came to my motorhome at Phoenix and showed me a new plan, a clear path to All-American for those who wanted to take on the challenge without all the smoke and mirrors of the previous years. He was asking for my opinion; I told him I thought it looked fine. It was on the back of an envelope and did include averages, as I remember, a few other criteria, and I understood it right away.

Over time it has become breathtakingly complicated and Gary's suggestion would at least solve that. The problem is that the complications came in trying to make it "completely fair" and you can't do that. But still, the members of the AA teams _are_ the best and most active shooters in the country, mostly, so I guess it "works,"

Neil

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.