Trapshooters Forum banner

Why my Grand was GRAND

2344 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Rick Barker
I have always shown my name and photo (yuuk) on trapshooter. I don't know if i'm brave or just dumb, but it pays off.
I only had two days at this years grand and over the two days, five different people introduced themselves saying something like, I have seen your name, photo, and posts on trapshooter. (none said they always agreed with me...imagine that?) Each encounter brought a nice conversation and we put a face with a name. One said he saw my name on a pre-squad flight and signed up so we could shoot together. AND due to a previous post I had written about wanting a part for my loading machine, brought and gave me the part. (he kicked my butt too) He would not allow me to pay for it. FIVE NEW FRIENDS in two days complete with names and faces!
We DO INDEED run with GOOD people!
I am honored!

Some only attend shoots to post scores. That's ok. We all do this for what we get out of it. A friend here once said "the worst part about trap shooting is the shooting". I agree!

Thanks for new friends and friends yet to be met for a GREAT Grand!!
Jim
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,973 Posts
Same here. I ran into Slide Action and we spoke briefly. Every bit the great guy he is on here as in person. I too really enjoyed putting a face with a name. I have a couple shirts with "Colonel Klink" on them, so it was a dead giveaway.
A nickname I have had for over 40 years.
Also spoke with Karla Harrison in the Federal bldg. She is such a sweet heart, lucky to have her among our ranks.
Colonel

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Jim-

By any chance were you in Graf's spot unloading wads one day? I could have sworn it was you from the profile pic. As I was standing in line....I said...that sure looks like that guy with the hat on in the pic.

TP

· Registered
1,291 Posts
I really believe that as we get older the people we meet and the old friends we reconnect with at shoots is the best part of trap shooting, I know it is that way with me 😀

· Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr Stocker...YES I was, as usual, at Mike Graffs. Mike has become a friend over the years and one of the people I always look forward to visiting with. If Mike doesn't have it, I just about can do without it.
He has helped keep a lot of us shooting by grouping components. I know some were less than happy that they could't buy a ton of primers..and primers only... but if he had opened the trailer, one guy would buy them all and jack the prices up. THANKS MIKE!

I wish you had called on me. I have seen your posts and always enjoy seeing them....especially when you clean out the safe from time to time.
Maybe Next Year!
Jim

While at Mike's, I had the pleasure of spending a little time with Kevin (Down Range). I feel about the same with him.
Good Guy!

· Registered
13,008 Posts
Same here. I ran into Slide Action and we spoke briefly. Every bit the great guy he is on here as in person. I too really enjoyed putting a face with a name. I have a couple shirts with "Colonel Klink" on them, so it was a dead giveaway.
A nickname I have had for over 40 years.
Also spoke with Karla Harrison in the Federal bldg. She is such a sweet heart, lucky to have her among our ranks.
Colonel
I was great to finally meet the "Col." in person. I found him to be as likeable as he is on line, Ditto on his comment about "Trap Wife" she has done a lot for the sport and is still supporting it ! Enjoyed the shooting and visiting with folks ! The staff and workers did a great job ( especially with some unexpected hoops they had to jump thru )! ! Looking forward to next year already !

· Premium Member
Krieghoff K-80 standard trap (32"/34" unsingle) & Beretta ASE-90 (29 1/2" tubed set)
924 Posts
I have always shown my name and photo (yuuk) on trapshooter. I don't know if i'm brave or just dumb, but it pays off.
I only had two days at this years grand and over the two days, five different people introduced themselves saying something like, I have seen your name, photo, and posts on trapshooter. (none said they always agreed with me...imagine that?) Each encounter brought a nice conversation and we put a face with a name. One said he saw my name on a pre-squad flight and signed up so we could shoot together. AND due to a previous post I had written about wanting a part for my loading machine, brought and gave me the part. (he kicked my butt too) He would not allow me to pay for it. FIVE NEW FRIENDS in two days complete with names and faces!
We DO INDEED run with GOOD people!
I am honored!

Some only attend shoots to post scores. That's ok. We all do this for what we get out of it. A friend here once said "the worst part about trap shooting is the shooting". I agree!

Thanks for new friends and friends yet to be met for a GREAT Grand!!
Jim
Jim,

Love your story; I ran into the same kind of Friendliness on my first trip to Sparta in 2018. My buddy and I were joking about how long we would be there before someone came up and started talking with me, or recognizing me, and it wasn't but a few minutes after pulling into the main event center ! LOL I have always had my picture and name tied to my TS.com account, as well as my Facebook account as well. I have gotten to know (and meet) so many shooters from my photography, it's kind of funny when they see me with my shotgun, they seem surprised, and I have heard it more than once; "Oh, I didn't know you also competed !" (LOL) These are the greatest folks in the world. Had a great time again in 2019, but missed the move to Linn Creek last year, and it just wasn't in the cards this year, but hope to be back in 2022.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)
Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club
"Shooter of Shotguns and Cameras" LOL

· Registered
36,838 Posts
I am happy it went well, other readings make me think it was a total disaster, over run by the Taliban. No need to mention where I saw that.

Reactions: charleyj10
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.