Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rex II powder is constantly changing its weight when I reload. I measure everything; and use a Universal charge bar in a MEC, and I want everything just exactly correct in my loads if at all possible. However, I have now loaded two cans of cans of REX II, and really like it -- but it is about to drive me "crazier" concerning its measurement. I can get it set just perfect at 20.5 gr., and then a dozen or so shells later on it is measuring out at 21.5 gr., so I reset it back to 20.5 gr., and then before you know it the stuff is weighing in at 19.5 gr. I like to shoot REX II and want to know what is the secret to getting it to weigh out evenly. I use a baffle between the charge bar and the powder bottle -- do you think I should take the baffle out???

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, my loader is grounded and I cannot see any obstructions in my baffle tube -- also, I took the baffle tube out, and loaded 100 rounds and had the same problem with the REX II changing weight constantly - so, that did not do any good. I have not tried using two baffles but that is next!

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
Did you say you had an adjustable charge bar?

I have had wonderful results with Rex over the years. It is about my favorite powder. I have no problems with powder charges wandering.

Of course, I use the stodgy old Mec bars and bushings.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rex is a good powder. Before giving up on it you might try another powder or two. Randy

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Presuming your powder is ultimately being dropped from a bushing, some deviation in weight is going to happen. The only exception would be if you were loading a very fine ball type powder. Taking an average of 10 loads, a deviation of 1 grain should be acceptable unless you are already approaching the maximum pressure for the load you are trying to achieve.

Robert

·
Registered
10,482 Posts
I tpically get a maximum spread of .3 gr with my setup.

You might take your shot bottle and use it for powder. When your switched bottle gets well coated, swap it again. This is the best method I have found to control the static demon.

I also use the plastic PC baffle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too use REX powder and changed to a universal bar. After my swap of the bars I had the same varying powder weight issues. As it turned out I didn't have the bar adjusted properly so that it would ALWAYS go completely to the left (powder side)and drop a full charge. Readjusted, no more problems. Maybe?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you mean you adjusted the bar properly -- what is the difference that you are talking about.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I see what you are saying about the charge bar going all the way to the left -- now the bolt head stops it, so I will look at that and think about a smaller bolt head? Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
You shouldn't need to install a smaller screw. If adjusted properly the screw should just touch the end of the slot. It is a screw and not a bolt yes?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, it is the regular bolt that comes with the Universal charge bar -- I will look at that issue tomorrow -- thanks

·
Registered
239 Posts
Remove both powder and shot bottles and get the loader where you can look directly down at it. Turn the bottles bracket back over where it would normally be during reloading. Push the handle to the bottom of the stroke and look in the hole where the powder bottle goes. Make sure the hole in the charge bar is centered. If it's not, adjust the NUT on the down rod that's right above station 4. It's position determines the length of travel of the charge bar.

Next: be consistent in the speed of travel of the loader's handle. Rex II is bulky, and if you try to go too fast sometimes you'll get varying loads.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Remove both powder and shot bottles and get the loader where you can look directly down at it. Turn the bottles bracket back over where it would normally be during reloading. Push the handle to the bottom of the stroke and look in the hole where the powder bottle goes. Make sure the hole in the charge bar is centered. If it's not, adjust the NUT on the down rod that's right above station 4. It's position determines the length of travel of the charge bar.

Next: be consistent in the speed of travel of the loader's handle. Rex II is bulky, and if you try to go too fast sometimes you'll get varying loads.

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks I will try that -- however, this is the electric model auto-mate so its rate of travel is determinded by the unit. I believe I will try a new Universal Charge Bar also -- the one I am using probably has close to 100,000 rounds through it and I have heard that it pays to change them out once in a while - but I have a problem seeing how they could wear out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.