Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All planets turn, rotate not the moon. We never c the other side. In its orbit, if there is one, the distance is always the same, meaning,?, its orbit is perfectly circular to ours, which is highly impossibe in a mass that large.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The dark side of the moon does not get enough light for us to see it! The source of light is the sun and as the moon comes up, when we experience night, the sun is on the other side of the earth from us. Always remember... Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver!

·
Registered
701 Posts
The moon is not in a circular orbit around the earth. The earth/moon distance varies from about 364,000 kilometers at nearest approach to 406,000 kilometers at apogee. It is in an elliptical orbit around the earth with an eccentricity of about .05.

The moon does rotate on its axis. It is in near synchronous rotation with its revolution around the earth. Basically, this means we always see the same "face" of the moon. Since the moon is in an elliptical orbit this is not exactly true. At perigee, we see a little more on the eastern (right) side of the moon and part of the west side is not visible and at apogee we see more of the western side of the moon. So we actually see a bit more than one side of the moon if we observe over multiple orbits. I think this is about 5 degrees of longitude on each side of the orbit.

Since the moon's orbit is tilted to the ecliptic plane we also see additional degrees of latitude depending on your location and viewing times.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Ah, so this would perhaps explain why I shoot poorer on days with a full moon, right? Change in gravitational pull on the lead shot string?

I see, I see.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Some good responses!

Another point of interest is the fact that the moon is moving away from the Earth at the rate of about 1 1/2" per year.

Regards, Pete

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
While we're at it: there are a whole bunch of folks who believe that God (Allah) actually, really did, split the moon in half as a sign, and then put it back together again.

Yikes!

Danny

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
At some point the moon will have moved far enough away that it will slow down its earth orbit. The earth will then start to pull it closer. As it gets pulled closer, it will speed up. This will overcome the gravity of the earth, and it will travel outward again.

As long as this process remains steady, there will be no problem. But if the cycle winds up slowly increasing the maximum and minimum distance from the earth, there may come a point when the moon will travel too close to the earth. If this happens, the moon may be shattered by the earth's gravity, giving us rings similar to Saturn.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
Maybe that explains why intelligent life is avoiding earth....all they get to see is the America side.....That must be quite a sight to them.LOL

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
How do you Know??? Are you sure??? maybe it moved and you didnt see it . Bet you dont know one side from the other. It goes away once a month who took it Bush? maybe to change sides

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I Apollo-gize for my lack of knowledge of the subject, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the moon shines at night when we need the light, as opposed to the day when we don't need it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
"Someone locked the door and threw away the Key,

Someone's in my head and it's not Me!"

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon album...That was always good enough for me!

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
The real issue is... what shot size would you use on the moon?

Where's Neil Winston when you need him?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.