Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just getting by.....
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only in America?

A final effort by Senate Republicans to halt cuts to pensions of military retirees failed late Tuesday, after Democrats blocked an amendment to the controversial budget bill.

The two-year budget agreement, which cleared a key test vote earlier in the day, was expected to get a final vote no later than Wednesday.

Ahead of the final vote, Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., tried unsuccessfully to use a parliamentary tactic to force a vote on the amendment, which he wrote to undo the cuts for military retirees.

Sessions wanted to instead eliminate an estimated $4.2 billion in annual spending by reining in an IRS credit that illegal immigrants have claimed.

He and fellow senators argued the bill unfairly sticks veterans and other military retirees with the cost of new spending.

“It’s not correct, and it should not happen,” Sessions said on the floor.

"By blocking my amendment, they voted to cut pensions for wounded warriors," he said afterwards. "Senators in this chamber have many valid ideas for replacing these pension cuts, including my proposal to close the tax welfare loophole for illegal filers, and all deserved a fair and open hearing. But they were denied.”

Twelve Republicans voted to move forward on the budget deal, including Sens. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Roy Blunt of Missouri, Saxby Chambliss of Georgia, Susan Collins of Maine, Jeff Flake of Arizona, Orrin Hatch of Utah, John Hoeven of North Dakota, Johnny Isakson of Georgia, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, John McCain of Arizona, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and Rob Portman of Ohio.

All Democrats supported the deal.

Alexander is the only GOP senator facing a primary threat to support the deal, but he said Tuesday he will oppose the bill on final passage. "Although I can't support it, I appreciate the efforts of Rep. Ryan and Sen. Murray to bring certainty to the budget process, which is why I voted earlier today to allow a Senate vote on their agreement, which had passed the House with two-to-one Republican support," he said.

Tim

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
my overriding concern is for the truly disabled vets. And, the bold-assed fact that Congress is not matching that reduction in their own (and, beltway pun-dents) retirement. But, also openly planning to INCREASE their own compensation after the first! WHAT HYPOCRISY, and cold-character we have put in the hen house.

"Vote early, and vote often!"

Kip

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
How the pols take care of the men and women in uniform is despicable

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Its sad that the vets suffer while the dems keep getting their pockets filled.

Obama keeps crapping on the American people And the sad thing is that nobody really cares.

We as the real American's have to do what ever we can to stop the madness

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Make sure everyone who voted for this --gets dumped in the primary-Demo or Republican-- if they voted for it---they're out---the primary is the REAL election in a lot of districts---let them know its coming.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Decorum prevents my calling them what they really are.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
We are now living in a post American Amerika. This country is flushinmg itself down the drain and based on what it seeks to become, it couldn't happen too soon.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Call all of your Congressmen and Senators and tell them how disgusting they are. I called all of ours this morning and gave them an earful. I also called and left a message for Paul Ryan. All of them responsible for this are disgusting.

We need term limits for all Congressmen and Senators and every government bureaucrat and most importantly for every appointed judge including the Supreme Court. And no pension or government employment after they leave.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have already emailed my GOP congressmen and let them know I will be voting against them. The bill should have never left the house the GOP are a bunch of spineless jellyfish. Dave

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Because the dumbed-down electorate puts scum in office and tolerates stuff like this, that's why. It's an American disgrace. We should all be ashamed.

-Gary

·
Registered
20,145 Posts
Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint o' beer,
The publican 'e up an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."
The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,
I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:
O it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";
But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play,
The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,
O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins", when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,
They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me;
They sent me to the gallery or round the music-'alls,
But when it comes to fightin', Lord! they'll shove me in the stalls!
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, wait outside";
But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,
The troopship's on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,
O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.
Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, 'ow's yer soul?"
But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,
But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;
An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints,
Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;
While it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy, fall be'ind",
But it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind,
There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,
O it's "Please to walk in front, sir", when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:
We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.
Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face
The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;
An' it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;
An' Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool -- you bet that Tommy sees!

Thus it ever was. We are second or even third class citizens unless there is shooting and dying to be done.

Don T

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Wouldn't it seem a bit more logical to take a share of the politicos "lifetime" full wage "pension" and forget about the military. They wouldn't even consider that! One term in congress and it entitles them to a lifetime full wage + medical coverage we can't buy!

Big Jack

·
Registered
563 Posts
The bill originated in the Republican House, where is the uproar against all those SOBs? One would figure the Demos would shaft us but those backstabbing SOBs in the House started it....emailed all of them last night, it wasn't pretty but what are they going to do to me, bend my ID card?

Van

1 - 19 of 19 Posts