Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might be a stupid question, but I was wondering why O/Us shoot from the bottom barrel first? And what; if any, is the advantage to it shooting the bottom first?

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
What I have been told by some double shooters is that most shooters shoot the bottom barrel first in double's because usually that barrel shoots a bit higher and appears to have less felt recoil then the top barrel. The top barrel is usually set to shoot a bit flatter and the choke is usually tighter for the second longer shot in doubles and the top barrel has a bit more recoil than the bottom barrel.

On a side note, I once purchased a quality o/u to shoot doubles. I shot the under barrel first and then the top barrel and my scores were in the low 80's. One day, I tried the top barrel first and then the bottom barrel and broke a score in the low 90's and was hitting targets with absolute authority. For some reason the poi was better for the way I shot doubles that way.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
331 Posts
They say the bottom barrel delivers less felt recoil because it's lower in the gun and more in line with your shoulder. So in doubles your first shot wouldn't jump the gun as much making a smoother swing to the second shot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I have noticed on most, not all, but most over under's is that before the wide spread use of changeable chokes and even guns made today with out changeable chokes the bottom barrel is mod or improved mod and the upper barrel is full choked. I have also asked people and they say that how my grandpa did it so thats how I do it too. Goes back to the days before removable chokes I guess . I also agree with the fact that there is less felt recoil and muzzle jump firing the bottom barrel first .

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've only shot singles so far in practice, so I've not even put a shell in the top barrel yet. I've only had my O/U for a couple weeks so I'm new to the double barrel game.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
OK...If 99% of shotguns are configured to shoot bottom barrel first....WHY do we say O/U.....It should be like the Auzzies say....U/O......

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
For me the Top first/Bottom first recoil debate is BS. I have guns in both configurations and can feel no difference with any load up to and including 36gm pigeon loads.

That could just be me - - - YMMV

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For me the Top first/Bottom first recoil debate is BS. I have guns in both configurations and can feel no difference with any load up to and including 36gm pigeon loads.

That could just be me - - - YMMV
Thanks for your input. I honestly don't know about the recoil on mine yet. I plan to find out soon though.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Bottom barrel first. I do it that way because I always have. If I changed, there would be a lot of clicks and cries of "Lost!"

Reactions: MasterMason0719

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
I can't tell the difference in recoil between the two.

And at 13 yards, my under barrel patterns about 3/4 of an inch lower than my over barrel. Which makes sense since the centerline of the under barrel is about 3/4 of an inch lower than the centerline of my over barrel.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Pretty much what others have said, the bottom barrel (theoretically) will provide less muzzle rise than the top barrel, and also the most o/u's are designed for the top barrel to shoot flatter for the second shot in doubles.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts