Trapshooters Forum banner

Why do i shoot handicaps better in the wind?

1285 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Micholdtimer
How come when the wind is blowing hard enough to move do I shoot better than when it is calm.
Today I started on 1 with a 23
Birds were dancing, but decent.
House 2 wind was bouncing birds, diving birds, pushing them above the trees, I hit 25
House 3
Wind starts calming birds are still being pushed up and down 22
House 4
Wind has subsided birds are nearly perfect 21
This is not a new phenomenon for me
The more unstable I position my footing, the better I shoot.
Why would this be?
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6,264 Posts
We (well I, anyway) get lazy when there's no wind and the birds are flying hot, straight, and true. But toss in enough wind to push them around a little, and "oh, oh, wind-better pay attention to the birds" pops in the mind and accidently creates a positive subconscious affirmation for a change.

Another example of this is when the 2 or 3 shooters before you miss. You either see them, or hear the call, "Lost!" If what goes through your mind is "don't miss", guess what? It'll probably be a lost bird, another 'sympathy miss'. I still occasionally find myself thinking that, even though I know this effect, and I have another phrase I try to implement, which is "dead bird."

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Simply because when you walked up to the line you did not think negatively about it being windy. Instead you made yourself concentrate more on the target because it was windy. This game is that simple. Mind control is everything in this sport. It certainly is not physical if you can lift the gun, and see the target.

· Registered
2,767 Posts
This reminds me of a night shooting winter league in a snow storm. The first two shots I was more focused on the shot going through the snow, missed those. With the lights on, it was very hard to see the target because the snow reflecting was so bright compared to the target. I proceeded to run out the rest. Why, because I said to myself, why am I looking at the shot trail through the snow instead of the bird. I then focused really hard to see the bird. Suddenly I did not see the snow and the bird magically appeared through that same snow. Power of the mind!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.