Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than a short one busting me in the nose with my thumb?

Yes it relates to where my cheek sits on the comb but if the rib is aligned and it shoots where I look, again, why do I care?

Would I not be better with my eye closer to the receiver?

just trying to understand and decouple the hearsay from the physics.

thanks!

·
Vendor
1,151 Posts
If you want to get in depth on this kind of stuff, check out Rollin Oswald's book "Stock Fitter's Bible". I'll give you the short version. If your LOP is too long, the gun will seem unwieldy and wont point right and you'll have problems hitting hard angle targets on your dominant side. If it is too short, then as you said, you have the chance of smacking your nose with your thumb during recoil. I'm sure someone else has something to add, but that's my .02 for now. Josh

·
Registered
929 Posts
If it's too long you will have a tendency to "Crawl Up" Burrying you face into and crawling forward. It'll strain you, your eyes, and hinder your swing. I Would rather have a stock that has my nose about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from thumb. JMHO J.W.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
tell that to A J Brenner. Hey kid your nose is to far forward! I think he uses the back of the rib as a resting spot or maybe he knows its shouldered the same everytime. I believe its like baseball. Nobody bats the same. Look at the crouch Pete Rose used or Joe Morgans jack your elbow 25 times before the pitch. If you can be competitive and shoot with no discomfort, who is to say? Birdtracker

·
Registered
859 Posts
In my experience I found that too short a stock caused me to jump at the straight aways; too long a stock I raised my head on the angles. Also, for best results, you must be comfortable with the fit.

BB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.