Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What did going to a high shooting gun do for you / your game?

I tend to break more birds when I hold at specific heights off the house. I am not someone who can hold anywhere and simply "go get the bird", and I have found I do better with a higher POI.

Thank you

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hi,

I tend to break more birds when I hold at specific heights off the house. I am not someone who can hold anywhere and simply "go get the bird", and I have found I do better with a higher POI.

Thank you
[/QUOTE

In my opinion, a consistent hold point for each station...changes from station to station...promotes the most direct movement to the target...and that movement is very much eye-hand coordination. With a high shooting gun the bbl/rib is out of the way allowing a quicker visual acquisition of the target and unobstructed view. Consistency and simplicity, removing the variables what random hold points can introduce is a good starting point. In the end, a perfect round is what we want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I keep all my trap guns shooting high. Atleast 90/10. My theory is that I don’t want to have to cover the target with my bead in order to break the target. I don’t want to lose sight of the target at all. As I raise my gun to the target, as soon as my bead touches of the bottom of the target I break it

·
Registered
10,041 Posts
For me personally, I shoot a poi of 70/30, as I can not shoot a gun consistently well when the poi is 80/20 or higher. For my style of shooting I would miss a lot of targets by shooting over them then.

In my opinion, the average trap shooter shoots a poi of 60/40 or 70/30 while holding on the tip of the trap house or a shade higher.

Every shooter needs to find what works for them. I have a friend that shoots a gun that shoots over 100% high and I tried his gun and I scored a 7.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
573 Posts
That's the only way i could be good on breaking targets is with a high P.O.I and moving to the target. Don't want to have to cover the bird with the barrel. (90/10 works for me.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I could never shoot that way. It sounds by your description that you are trying to look at the target and bead at the same time. I only look at the target and never consciously see the bead, I know my sub-conscious brain does. It's like I never say to myself "pull or in my case release the trigger" my sub-conscious does that, it just happens by memory.
My trap guns shoot 6" higher than point of aim at 40 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I keep all my trap guns shooting high. Atleast 90/10. My theory is that I don’t want to have to cover the target with my bead in order to break the target. I don’t want to lose sight of the target at all. As I raise my gun to the target, as soon as my bead touches of the bottom of the target I break it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lots of different talk here. There is high POI (your gun's performance) high hold point (your shooting style) and a high rib ( your gun's configuration). A high hold is tuff on one eye shooters(bad), but allows for less vertical movement in the gun(good). Lots of vertical movement and a high POI is usually a bad thing with shot strings climbing over the target. Not that there aren't a ton of those out there that shoot that way, and really well, but it is easier to get better and be great with the proper approach, fit, gun, and mechanics..

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
My POI was 21.5" high at 40 yards. I don't have a dominant eye. Whenever my right eye lost sight of the bird my left would take over. Miss! I never had to worry about that with a high POI.

When I decided to get serious about doubles, things changed. At that time I was shooting a higher ribbed gun than previously. I found that 10" high at 40 was the best compromise. That and a modified approach to doubles shooting really improved my doubles scores.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I was pretty dumb about POI when I bought my high rib, 90/10 Ljutic, but I really liked the wood and the overall appearance of the gun. Now, after several years, I would not change a thing. If anything it is set to shoot higher as there is considerable gap between the beads. Sometimes you fall into a cesspool and come out smelling like a rose I guess.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Good question. I shot my best scores with a skeet grade 1100 with a vent rib 30" fixed full choke. I now shoot a fairly low shooting BT99. Kicks lots more than the 1100's.

·
Premium Member
6,004 Posts
Hi,

Thank you
So what do you consider a "high shooting gun" with respect to POI?

My POI is a progression in time. It shoots where it does because I don't have the extra set of eyes to "float the target" nor do I have/take the time to calculate where I need to be. When the end of the barrel touches the target, execution is underway.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I found I can't shot a high rib gun. But if I have to cover the bird to break it I find I can't keep my head on the stock. So I am set up with a high point of impact. I can't say how much high but I have sky between my barrel and the bird as the gun recoils into my shoulder.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
My poi has changed quite a bit over the last 4 years.
Not that long ago it was flat now it's around 12" @ 40 yds.
I believe that over time I have learned how to see the targets better and that makes your gun get there sooner.
My philosophy is set the poi to fit me and not the other way around.
Throughout my journey of ATA shooting I have found ways to make gradual improvements .
It's alot more to it than just saying shoot a high poi and that will make good scores.
Henry

·
Administrator
8,649 Posts
For me the further back I shot from in handicap the more I raised my POI. So once I reached the 27 yard line my vertical POI reached 12 inches (center of pattern) at 40 yards. I found that to get this POI a mid to higher rib shotgun made this much easier.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I changed to a high shooting gun (80/20) when I became a 2 eyed shooter and moved my hold point up to 24" above the house. I need less vertical movement and see the bird better.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts