Trapshooters Forum banner

Why did Remington discontinue 870 Trap barrel production?

2989 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Chief 701
Why did they discontinue the 870 Trap barrel production? Seems like it would be a good option for younger generation to get into trap. In fact I’m getting back into shooting after a long hiatus. Was planning on putting a trap barrel on the 870 wing master I just picked up for $100 along with a new stock as it doesn’t match anyways. This was to get me by until I found the right O/U for the right price similar to the Beretta I shot back in the day. However I can’t find a barrel anywhere but ebay. While I not a big fan of buying barrels off eBay it may be my only choice.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,086 Posts

· Registered
618 Posts
Why did they discontinue the 870 Trap barrel production? Seems like it would be a good option for younger generation to get into trap. In fact I’m getting back into shooting after a long hiatus. Was planning on putting a trap barrel on the 870 wing master I just picked up for $100 along with a new stock as it doesn’t match anyways. This was to get me by until I found the right O/U for the right price similar to the Beretta I shot back in the day. However I can’t find a barrel anywhere but ebay. While I not a big fan of buying barrels off eBay it may be my only choice.
Try Kittery trading post web site..they usually have a lot of used barrels..might get lucky.

· Registered
3,169 Posts
I found two for sale on here both at reasonable prices, including one of the mythical 34" ones.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this what you meant by trap barrel?

Looks like plenty of 870 barrels on barrel exchange:
Non say trap...so not sure if they don't have what you are looking for or you meant vent rib.
Preferably would like the trap/target barrel. However this bears the question of what is the big difference between the vent rib barrel and trap barrel when it comes to shooting? How can a person identify each?

· Registered
3,169 Posts
I will have to take another look. I just have missed them when I looked/searched.
Sorry, I didn't mean currently for sale. Just that I had bought a couple on here, one from a vendor and one from a member in the last few months. They show up on here reasonably often.

· Registered
3,169 Posts
Preferably would like the trap/target barrel. However this bears the question of what is the big difference between the vent rib barrel and trap barrel when it comes to shooting? How can a person identify each?
Scott Haynes is the man when it comes to Remington production.
A true target/trap barrel should be marked like this and will have a white Bradley type front bead and a mid bead.
I don't know if the entire production of trap barrels were marked this way but the ones I have seen are.

If it has a step rib on the barrel like the one below, it's a trap barrel unless somebody has altered it.

· Registered
233 Posts
I've got an 870 with a barrel marked heavy target it has a .740 bore and choke tubes the gun must have been a custom shop build as it has an engraved receiver that is marked as a magnum and the buttstock is machined for an 1100 and has a long forearm.

· Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I was able to buy a new/old stock trap barrel for my 870 a couple of years ago. It came still sealed in the original box. It has a vent rib barrel, full choke, mid bead and ivory front bead. Yes, it came off eBay for $100. Honestly with a Nitro 27 shell that gun throws the best pattern I have ever seen. I had purchased a wingmaster new a few years ago, put a Jack West stock on it and then this barrel. It’s a super nice old school trap gun. I pull it out on occasion to play with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.