Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why aren

With the trend towards stainless in other areas, like rifles and handguns, why aren't there more trap guns made in stainless steel?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, there are a few stainless BT's around and I know Ljutic made some, but overall there are very few stainless guns.

I don't buy the bright and shiny finish, none of the hunting rifles out there have a shiny finish, bead blasted stainless isn't shiny at all.

The cost of a stainless steel rifle is only $100 or so more than a blued rifle, I can't imagine that a stainless shotgun would be any different. And when you're talking about the kind of money we pay for our guns already $100 isn't much of a premium for the weather resistance of stainless.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Personally, I think it is over rated. I had a SS BT 100 and within a couple of years it started to pit. I tried to stay ahead of it, but it was more work than my blue guns to keep looking good and keep the pits down.

JON

G

·
I do know of a Ljutic that had a SS receiver and a polished metal barrel. It was supposed to be SS thoughout. Ljutic sent it this way and the new owner didn't realize it until the barrel started to rust.

This isn't a work of fiction, it really happened.

ec90t

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
They mad a bunch of stailess receivers and blued steel barrels. I had one. I forgot what they called them but somethiing like black diamond or ??? There are a bunch of them around and they work great. motordoc

G

·
motordoc,

The barrel wasn't blued. It was polished to make it look like stainless, but it was just carbon steel. It fooled quite a few people until it started to rust!

ec90t

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Stainless galls easily.. especially stainless on stainless.. It is more difficult to machine. Certain grades of stainless don't gall as much.. but are more expensive. Most areas in concern could be made changable and as wear sets in.. R&R.. barrel pivots etc.. but for every added part comes an added cost..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.