Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why don't we see more target shotguns with "space gun" type stocks? Especially from the factory. I've included a picture of the Tubb 2000, a bolt-action AR-15 target rifle, just for reference.

We see countless examples of nice pieces of walnut being cut up for adjustments. Why not just drop the pretense of walnut all together?

There's a large segment of the market that wants recoil reducers, multi-way adjustable butt pads, adjustable combs, etc. Further, a space gun type stock - a metal tube with a cheek piece, grip, and fully adjustable butt plate - would be cheaper than even the cheapest K-gun or P-gun stock.

All the usual suspects (Beretta, Browning, Kolar, Kreighoff, Perazzi, etc) could sell a cheaper gun, with more adjust-ability, right from the factory. The only company I know of that has sort-of recognized this is Remington, selling a factory 1100 with the Jack West Pro Combo adjustable stock.

·
Registered
518 Posts
A PFS is about as close to a "space gun" stock as you will find. Mine ran around $1400 a new walnut stock from CG is cheaper. Beside to most guys their gun is their arm candy! I used to believe the best wood was used in furniture until I saw some of the stocks guys have on their guns.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
What could be worse than shooting an ugly gun? The beautiful wood and superb metalwork are part of the shot gunning experience. It's like the smell of Hoppe's #7... It reminds me of fall days with my dad and his hunting buddies, the great stories they told and the great men they were.

Bob

·
Registered
13,602 Posts
Precision Fit Stocks aren't as popular as they could be because if you want one, you have to buy one, and pay the same price as everyone else.

They don't give them away, sponsor any shooters, or pay any shooters to use them.

Yet they still have a pretty strong following all things considered.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I will take my sculptured, well fitted PFS over any ill fitted eye candy stock (love nice wood). My PFS stocks fit me if I loose weight or gain weight. The PFS allows me to continue to shoot by reducing recoil, all this for $1295.00 new. When someone tells me my PFS is ugly I smile and walk away, at least I'm still able to shoot the sport I love doing.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
In a nutshell?? Because they are butt ugly and life's too short to shoot an ugly gun.. Just sayin' ya know.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
49 Posts
What could be worse than shooting an ugly gun?

Shooting a pretty gun and losing to the guy with an ugly gun! :)

Don (a recent PFS convert)

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Don..... You have a valid point, however, I'll look cool doing it..... Dan

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The old saying in rodding "If it don't go, Chrome it!" Rather have good fitting stock that's fully adjustable and helps break targets than a shiny piece of wood.

Having shot a Space Gun, I think it would be cool and help gun control to have a pistol grip.

Surfer

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Should be a skeet shooters dream. Maybe market it with change out color inserts to match attire.

Heck, I don't even like the looks of black guns.But I do watch black n white westerns.

·
Registered
13,602 Posts
I just laugh every time I see a guy shooting a 20k gun with a stock that doesn't even come close to fitting him (but man it sure looks pretty), and he can't hit his ass with both hands.

Bottom line is the target can't tell the difference in the cosmetics of your gun, but it sure can tell if your stock fits properly or not.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Tradition is wood but I am up for any thing that works and would buy on for sure. I have several PFS and have wooden grips and combs and love them. PFS is a small company with a shooter owner who is always there for help and advice on his stocks. Price is very fair just look at the Europen stocks like his and their prices are more than double.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
I think the PFS is the ugliest shotgun stock ever.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I have to agree, Brian, it is ugly.. BUT..considering the price of having a custom stock produced to fit you..the PFS is a dream come true. It can be made to fit almost anybody and when he beats you, just remember, it was one of those ugly PFS's that did it for him.

Big Jack

1 - 20 of 27 Posts